logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichardM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:35:53 AM(UTC)
RichardM

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 1/20/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,130
Location: Las Vegas

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

 

OOC

Stub Post for part 2 of Never See the Light of Day, Masque of Death


Edited by user Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:41:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Having problems? Contact me via email rmathis _at webcomic _dot_ net
Burning Wheel Rules Summary
My Websites: topwebcomics.com | Dark Mythos | Dndorks.com
Frandal  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 4:27:19 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
OOC
 
As soon as she finish her bath Kayndar will be ready...  don't blame her, the water is still hot... :) 

RichardM  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:26:29 AM(UTC)
RichardM

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 1/20/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,130
Location: Las Vegas

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

The night starts out well, even if Kayndar (who was previously known as Laryandar) did keep you waiting.  What begins as a lavish night out quickly spirals into something else entirely. 

The night begins at a public bath, then proceeds to a House Jorasco residence in the Upper Menthis Plateau, the Golden Goose.  Several other parties are in here, though the night is young and the room is somewhat subdued.  The small halflings scurry around the room servicing the other tables, and you don't have to wait long before a small woman with tight braids and a bright smile runs over with a stool.  She tosses the stool to the floor, hops on top of it, and proceeds to ask everyone for their dinner choice.  Whatever, their dinner choice.  Kayndar makes some interesting choices from her jungle homeland, while Anton asks for some of the finest Aundarian foods, and likewise, around the table.  Whatever is asked for, she smiles and nods.

Galadrial  shows up at the last moment, tossing in an order from Aerenal.  The halfling questions this a bit, asking him to describe the food, but nods the affirmative.  Afterward, the woman heads over to the chef, a chubby halfling with no shirt on.  His Mark of Hospitality winds its way across his large belly, up the chest, and around his left arm like a serpent.  The chef speaks in a strangely accented language back and forth, nods, smiles at some of the odder requests, then walks over.

Bowing to Kayndar, the halfling chef says "I am Tingar, master chef for House Jorasco.  It is my pleasure to provide your meal tonight, plus a few extras I think you'll enjoy."  At that, Kayndar pulls out a small brass triangle and a rod affixed with a red crystal on the end.  Kayndar taps the triangle with the rod, then sweeps his arm across the table.  Food materializes, everything the group asked for and more, several dishes from each of the group's homelands, showing Tingar's true mastery of the profession.

The feast continues, with everyone sampling each other's dishes, though some of Kayndar's drow delicacies are a bit strange, and no one likes the idea of large insectoid dishes as food.  

A few guests from the other tables join about midway through the feast, bringing some of their own samples while sharing in the group's lavish dishes.  A shifter whose rugged looks and tight leathers make him see out of place joins towards the end of the meal.  He does it without asking, and has nothing to offer, but as the group is quite stuffed at this point, no one complains.  Which turns out to be a good thing, as the shifter ends up being Jhandar, a high ranked officer for House Tharashk, the House of mercenaries.  He invites you to join him at a party at Morgrave University, a grand ball to celebrate the recovery of some great find from Xendrik.  It isn't his cup of tea, looking at archaeological items, but he figures your companionship will make the party more interesting, and the interaction of the nobility and educated of Sharn is his offer of repayment for sampling your food.


Morgrave University, the Rose Ballroom 

When you arrive at Morgrave University, the guards at first question your right to attend, but quickly apologize and pass you through the line of other would be guests after Jhandar shows a glittering marked invitation.  Taking you through a large hall, the guards lead you into the Rose Ballroom, a large room with several side chambers where people are either socializing or dancing.  Near the back of the room a group of elves play a variety of instruments to produce a haunting, but beautiful melody, while more elves are stationed around the room doing small tricks, sleight of hand, juggling, etc.  These are the elves of House Phiarlan, dressed brightly, somewhat garishly, to distinguish them from the rest of the guests.

A few people recognize you as the ones who rescued a scion of House Deneith and want to hear your story.  The scholarly types seem intrigued by the idea of such adventure happening here in Sharn, while the Brelish nobles want to curry your favor in case doing so will help them in dealings with House Deneith.

You are not the only adventurers here though, a few others stand out.  

 

  Everyone give me streetwise checks to represent your ability to smalltalk, or alternative.

Kvahlin, Lerissa, you're at the party, but not with the group yet, describe your appearances, if everyone else wants to describe your appearance for a night out on the town, great.  No wearing of armor unless its light armor, no polearms or anything crazy like that either, but weapons are allowed in general.   If you should need your armor, you'll have to either go get it, or pay someone to go get it.  

Kvahlin, Lerissa,  if you have interesting tales or some reason you've been invited, feel free to state so, otherwise I'll invent it for you. :)

Kayndar, Galadriel, Anton, make sure to level up, the character vault still lists you at level 2!


Having problems? Contact me via email rmathis _at webcomic _dot_ net
Burning Wheel Rules Summary
My Websites: topwebcomics.com | Dark Mythos | Dndorks.com
Augrimm  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 4:26:09 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Lerissa  Lerissa resigned herself to enduring a evening of smalltalk and meaningless pleasantries.  Jorin had asked her to accompany him to the ball celebrating their dig in Xendrick and she had never been able to refuse anything that the saintly old man had asked of her.  Though she was currently reconsidering the descriptor of "saintly" considering that the old mage had promply abandoned her to the attentions of a group of young courtiers almost as soon as they had arrived.....

She knew what he was up to of coarse.  He was always saying that she should get out and socialize more and that it was unhealthy for an attractive young woman to spend all of her free time locked away in her room studying or meditating.  She knew that Jorin meant well, but she could never adapt herself to the frivalities of societies upper circle.  Though it had been years since Jorin El'than had taken her in, she still remembered vividly her days living on the streets..... the constant fear and hunger.

  How many of the downtrodden and starving could have been fed and sheltered by the gold spent on this ball she wondered before turning her attention back to the young lesser noble currently torturing her with his attention.  She kept a fake smile on her face and laughed at some crude witticism the young man made (Bluff 27) and engaged him in meaningless small talk (Streetwise 17) all-the-while idly contemplating the idea of reducing him to a vegetative state and stealing longing glances to where Jorin stood smiling at her while he engaged in conversation with a pair of archeological scholars about the significance of one of their findings.

 

Her attention was drawn to the front of the hall as an oddly assorted group entered ball.  Jhandar she recognized from some of her mercenary work with his house, but the four accompanying him were a mystery.  The somewhat dashing young human was a common enough sight at these parties as was the elf, though his stern demeaner was in stark contrast to the elves of House Phiarlan.  A drow and teifling however were much more of a rarity.  Lerissa had never met another of her kind amongst the upper circle, much less one of the dark elves.  Her curiosity peaked even further as her keen ears picked up on the whipered tales of their deeds, especially when the words "mind magic" were uttered regarding the kidnapping of a scion of House Deneith.

"Excuse me m'lord, but there's some people I need to talk to.  You understand of coarse."  She shot the young petty noble her most dazzling smile accompanied by a psychic barrage of confusing and conflicting thoughts, images, and sensations (Distract power) before gliding past the suddenly stammering young man towards the strange group.  As she approached her pale eyes took on a pale green glow as she projected her thoughts across the noisy room towards the other teifling as he stood with the drow on his arm.  "I would be very interesting in hearing your tale as well, especially the parts about this mysterous figure and his strange mental powers." (Project Thoughts Power).

 

OOC

(sidenote: Lerissa is dressed ina simple, yet elegant lavender gown. Her only accessories are an amethist pendant and a staff tiped in an emerald green crystal.  Also, how in the heck to you change back to normal text?!?).

It works better if you select the text formatting after you've written it, theres probably a way to get out of it, but I just clicked source. -Richard

´╗┐PS. Nice post. -Richard


Edited by user Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:40:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

HaplessWithDice  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 9:53:37 PM(UTC)
HaplessWithDice

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 213

Thanks: 2 times

Korihor hears the voice in his head, and seeing the other Tiefling gives her a look that invites her over.  His black suit a rather nice number featuring 3 matched peices as well as a white twill shirt and a necktie.  The vest a respendant and patterened satin black, with the jacket cuffs, trim, and Lapels made from the same fabric.  His oily black leather shoes finish off the apearance of a well dressed gentleman.  Which with the fetching drow woman at his side the red skinned tiefling did quite well at papearing as.

When the woman is close enough to comunicate vocaly and not make a scene he says clamly.  "Madem, it apears that we should be asking you more about it, and not the other way around.  That is quite the impressive way to communicate."  He then bows respectfully.  "I am Korihor, and this is Kayndar."  He indicates the woman he is with.  He then smiles to his date.  "Shall we tell her of what we found in that deep place?"

OOCI tried for a while to describe this suit so I am going to just give you a picture.  This is what he is wearing but darker black.
 

 

Korihor's suit


Edited by user Monday, May 24, 2010 9:56:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dying_inxs  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 11:59:58 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Kvahlin

 is in the corner of the room wearing his leather armor all black but when he shifts you can see Arcane symbols shine blue through red when the light hits them. Broadsword at his side his spell of hide mark cast on him as always eyeing the crowd looking out for any make shift indviuas who might threaten the dig.(streewise 14) hes not one for small talk nodding at those who make eye contact always on the job hes here to protect the dig but .. in reality his search for his true identiy where he comes from and why... he has these marks that are soo strange even when compared to those who have mixed mark lineage... he thought he asked the kinda Dig researchers for there input when they earned his trust but ..... no got to concentrate on the job your being paid good money personal stuff later . He sees the group walk in and watchs he sees Lerissa glid toward them

seconed part of job keep her safe good man Jhandar asked him to do not sure why something to do with her power of the mind... he moves in to guard her doing nothing to hide his being there to make it obvise to hurt her would bring down a wrath a pain ... but its also becuase he curious who are these odd mixed group ar ethey the rescuers he heard of .... the drow she sparks more curistiy from him .... the job stick to your job..

nandrossi  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:46:07 AM(UTC)
nandrossi

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 84

Anton, decked out in his finest garb, is exuberant, his night has begun fantastically, thanks in large part to Kayndar, and only got better when he got invited to Jorin's ball.  It had been months since he'd been invited to one of Morgrave University's balls, and while House Lyrandar has some pretty swanky parties, the opportunity to socialize with some of those he studied with was always welcomed.

Right away Anton had taken to the daughter of a noble from Northern Breland, he had seen at a party a few months ago.  He found her intriguing because while she was obviously human, with her red hair and freckles, she had a hint of...something more.  Was that the slightest point on her ears? Oh yes, this young lady definitely had a hint of elven, fey, or something blood, just the way Anton liked them...  So he spent the first few minutes working himself into her group of friends.

Anton despite not having been there long, was enjoying her company...until Lerissa approached the group...  Beauty, obvious power, Anton politely disengaged himself from the young woman and her friends and began to approach Lerissa back, until he realized her attention was obviously on Korihor. What the? "Hrmph" Anton grumbled softly to himself.  When the rather violent looking human approached, the tiefling woman's protector as it were, Anton smiled back at the young man, hoping to get on the protector's good side and maybe get an edge in with Lerissa.

 

Anton will do his best to evoke the most vivid descriptions of their adventure that he can, hoping to both impress and spread the word of their group's recent accomplishments.

 


Augrimm  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:06:42 AM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

 

OOC

@ Rich:  Thanks.  Being the group's default GM for I don't know how many years has given me a fair hand at storytelling and since I never got around to writing up Lerissa's background like I did for Demarius and Gabriel, I figured this would be a fine opportunity to flesh her out a bit for the other players.

@ Nandrossi: Your post made me giggle a bit, good job :)

 

"There's not much for me to tell you I'm afraid.  I've researched the subject rather exhaustively but there really isn't that much written down in the libraries about powers of the mind. I'm mostly self taught.  Master El'Than was only able to teach me basic meditation and self decipline techniques.  Oh, how rude of me. I am Lerissa, ward and student of master magus Jorin El'Than" , Lerissa sweeps a courtly bow. "I can tell you one thing though, the mysterious individual you encountered has mastery of his powers far beyond mine own.  I doubt I could keep controll of one of the strong willed Dragonmarked nobles for more than a few moments, let alone several days!"

Lerissa notices Kvahlin moving protectly behind her and buries a quick stab of irritation.  Where was he when she was threatened with death by boredom from the young courtiers?  Now that she's found someone interesting to talk to he feels protective?   Lerissa shook her head and smiled ruefully at her own thoughts.  The man was only doing his job after all and he had been invaluable in fighting off the attacks of bandits and kobolds that the archeologists had faced both at the dig site and on route back to Sharn.  She had hoped though that she had proven to the man that she could take care of herself.....

The young teifling woman listened with great interest as Anton wove tales of the group's adventures.  Though this man shared some obvious traits with the courtiers she had been afflicted with earlier, he at least had charm and wit, and his skill at storytelling was rather remarkable. 


Edited by user Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:39:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frandal  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:27:50 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

OOC: CS updated.

Also I've found a picture of how Kayndar is dressed, I can't describe it so I hope you like it... edit: it seems that I can't upload it, but here's the link...

http://apadrinaunorco.mforos.com/1626764/7622497-creacion-de-personajes/?pag=2

 

IC: With a smile she apologizedfor being late and ask her friends to go to their table. The dinner was great, and she specially enjoy the khuerys, a dessert only cooked once time in the year by her people. It was lovely that the cook include them in the menu.

The night only get better when they were invited to the ball. She entered at korihor's arm, and let him conduct the smalltalk, smiling and making some jokes to keep the good mood up. (streetwise  24 )

When the woman and her protector approaches she smiled " Be careful then mylady, looking into this crazy man mind's could be... " she looks at Korihor then smlie at him " deliciously dangerous..."

She searched with her glance for Galadriel, fearing that one of the jesters decide that it could be a good idea to make a joke on the serious paladin...

 

RichardM  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:52:47 PM(UTC)
RichardM

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 1/20/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,130
Location: Las Vegas

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

 

During the initial stages of the ball, everyone fits right in.  Guests are happy to hear about those who just saved a dragonmarked scion of House Deneith, while Jhandar is pleased at his own status being raised for bringing such interesting guests.  This certainly won't be the last such ball that you get invited to, at least as long as your bit of fame lasts, such things being fickle at best

Likewise, those with bits of information about the ball and the reason for its happening tonight are happy to share, proud of whatever affiliation they have with Jorin El'Than's work with Morgrave University and the Wayfinder Foundation as they compete for attention.

Arien ir'Donovar, the young lady Anton is taken with, has this tidbit to share with him. "So my uncle, Larrian ir'Morgrave, you know, the master of Morgrave University, said that this was one of the best digs yet.  He knows more about xendrik's history than practically anyone, and said that this site held a cache of items related to dreams.  I even heard one of the items puts you immediately into a dreaming state, just hold it, and Whoosh! dreaming."  The extent of her knowledge of the subject can be summed up with that one line, "Whoosh, dreaming", being the niece of the master of Sharn's great university doesn't promise education, though apparently it didn't hurt her appearance any.

Kayndar managed to draw the attention of Algave, a gruff dwarf covered in rune tattoos describing the glories of Aureon, the god of knowledge.  The dwarf, fairly old apparently as indicated by the hints of gray in his otherwise red beard, shares a few of his own jokes back and forth, then begins to talk about the dig, he did most of the work on it apparently, being an artificer.  He asks Kayndar whether her people knew anything about the site, but after he describes it, its obvious that no, her people, worshippers of the scorpion god Vulkoor, didn't control that territory, instead it was controlled by the Sulatar (the firebinders, elves who continue to worship the giants, waiting for their return).  He tells her no elves were to be seen in the tower they had found, they had no trouble at all actually, much to their relief.  They had returned a great many items, but nothing of great value except perhaps a large chest.  The chest couldn't be opened there, in fact they only managed to figure out how to bypass the protective magics yesterday, just in time to open it here, tonight in front of all of the guests.  Hes quite proud of this, "For a brief moment, these nobles, unwilling to step outside of their parties, will get privy to a bit of the experience of true exploring, be able to see things that no one else has seen for millenia!"

Kvahlin chats, a few show interest in him and his role in the expedition, but after learning that he was meant to help fend off the plentiful dangers that Xendrik normally provides, but failed to show up this particular dig, they quickly lose interest.  He does manage to learn about the group, their accomplishments in rescuing a member of House Deneith, and in spite of himself, hes somewhat impressed, they, unlike most here, are real.

 

Korihor has done quite well for himself, capturing the attention of several noble women. Its gotta be the suit.  Between Lerissa, Allison, and a host of other women, he has little time to learn about whats going on, instead helping to spread the tale of his daring rescue of the House Deneith noble.

Lerissa does all right for herself, learning most of the tale of the heroes who arrived unexpectedly.  She also catches up with Larrian, the master of Morgrave University.  The older man is quite pleased with how well the expedition went.  He asks her if she has had any strange dreams since the dig, which Lerissa says no, having too much control of her mind to be affected by the mere aura of the strange items.  Some of the people didn't start having the strange dreams until several days after being exposed, so he says he'd love to hear about any if they should start happening.  He also shares a secret with her, being too proud of himself to not share.  "The chest with the strange runes on it? The one Algave couldn't open?  We're opening it for the first time, tonight!  We'll show everyone the antiquities within, they'll get the excitement of seeing it for the first time, before anyone else!"  He then leans in and whispers, "Except of course, it isn't the first time, Algave got it open last night, I thought it too dangerous to actually open it tonight, so he checked it out, everything is perfectly safe.  But it should inspire some of the sponsors to be a bit more open with their pouch!", at this, the old man winks at Lerissa, he is obviously quite pleased with himself.  "Oh my my, its almost time for me to do the presentation!"

 

 

 

OOCOk, that was quite the bit of text, so I'll let everyone absorb it, then unless anyone wants to continue to chat/introduce themselves, etc, Sunday night or Monday, I'll continue where Larrian ir'Morgrave is giving the presentation.  I bolded all of the important names to help make sure everyone knows whos important and who isn't.  I'm counting his as a lvl 3 skill challenge in terms of xp and 1/2 of a milestone, just as an FYI.

Having problems? Contact me via email rmathis _at webcomic _dot_ net
Burning Wheel Rules Summary
My Websites: topwebcomics.com | Dark Mythos | Dndorks.com
Augrimm  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:12:44 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

 

OOCI wonder if we've lost Galadriel?

 

Lerrisa breaths a sigh of relief upon hearing that the contents of the chest had already been inspected and deemed safe by master Algave.  If he and Larrian both deemed them to be of no danger to the crowd, then it must be so.  She was glad that they hadn't been so foolish as to truely open the chest in a public arena like this.  Magical artifacts, especially those related to the mind could be incredibly dangerous to the untrained.  Smiling at master ir'Morgrave. Lerissa assured Larrian that she would most definately share any strange dreams as she relaxed her grip on the mental eneries she had summoned to send her concerns to Jorin.

Speaking of Jorin, she would dearly love to introduce this fascinating group to him.  The old man's love of adventure and a good tale was as strong as her own after all, and he would surely love to hear about their deeds first hand, as well as possibly discuss magical theory with such a widely varied group of arcane practitioners...

Lerissa guestured over to where Jorin stood watching her convertly while talking to a pair of scholars from  the Wayfinder Foundation. "Could I impose on you all to meet with my master?  Jorin would be delighted to hear of your exploits without the embelishments of gossip and rumour, and I would like to continue our talk as well." 


Edited by user Friday, May 28, 2010 1:22:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HaplessWithDice  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:10:55 AM(UTC)
HaplessWithDice

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 213

Thanks: 2 times

"Very well, if you think that your master would like to hear the tale."  Korihor says charmingly to Lerrisa. The sheer number of woman who are showing attention to him is at first suprising.  He knew he was by many standards a handsom example of his race, but to draw this much attention.  Perhaps the chothes don't make the man, but maybe they do make up for quite a bit.  Although he primarly was interested in developing deeper ties with Kayndar.  Though so long as she was enjoying herself then he was happy.  Besides he doubted any of these women were much interested in him seriously he had no doubt it was the fragrance of danger, combined with the alure of an exotic race, crossed with the presence of these articles of a long forgotten time and place that made the thought of a well groomed, freshly bathed, adventure man seem more enticing.

Most of these women if they saw how little this life style actualy payed, or the mortality rate of it would not seek the company of an adventure for more than a single night of pleasure and be done with him.  After all, tomarrow he may die in some forsaken jungle, or in some deep dark pit in Sharn.  No it would seem that the only fit company for one of this life style was another of it.  After all who would want to leave a wife or husband at home alone to morn and miss you.  That would feel like hell to be seperated from the one you love.  No the best companion in life is someone who complements you, who can pull you away from the edge when you need to be, give you comfort when you need it, and share in your trials and tribulations.  These lovely birds in their guilded cages were nice to look at, fun to experiance, but their life was something that shouldn't touch his.  For if they were to love one of them, like Anton, or him, or the Paladin then it would break their hearts.  No, best to love one who is able, and skillful, and powerful enough to go with you into the deep dark places of Khyber.  To explore into the master with you without needing to lean on you for support, or constantly needing you to save them.  Because you may need them to save you.

Perhaps should they have another adventure he might right a book, "Rommance for the Adventurer"  A refective peice about how to find love while on the trail of a kidnap victem, or a great treasure.  That sounds good.  yes, the perfect book for the world today.  Perhaps he would eventualy share his idea with the others.  Get input from them.


Frandal  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 12:09:17 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The drow smiles to Korihor when their eyes makes contact when he searchs for her, letting him know that everything is alright.

She tried to remember anything she had heard about the Sulatar elves or even the tales of that zone.

OOC: History check: 8 ( hmm not likely ;) )

 

Kayndar lowers her voice, so only algave could hear her. " But my good master, would it be safe to open it before these people? it sounds like a good idea to impress those scholars and nobles adn to make the night more exciting but tell me that you already know what's inside..."

OOC: maybe a diplomacy check? just if needed. 14 ( ups I hope he doesn't offend..much...) or an arcana to see if she reconognizes the description of the chest? 25


RichardM  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:46:08 PM(UTC)
RichardM

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 1/20/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,130
Location: Las Vegas

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

 The old magus Jorin ir'Akno smiles as Lerissa starts walking toward him, but continues talking.  "...so you see, the giant civilization of Xendrik were fighting this war against the invading spirits.  The tools we recovered on the dig were various implements that had been used to defend themselves, or even launch attacks against the spirits themselves.  Of course this is only conjecture, and only with extensive research can we know the true purpose of the tools."

Turning completely towards Lerissa and the rest of the group, he dismisses the two scholars.  "Ah, Lerissa, are these the heroes that have the coup all in an uproar?"

 

 

The Sulatar

 All that Kayndar knows about the Sulatar is how they relate to her own people.  Originally, the elves were slaves of the giants on the continent of Xendrik.  The elves revolted when the giants began losing the war against their ancient enemies, and you were left with 3 people.  The elves who fled, forming the elven empire of Aerenal.  The elves who rebelled but stayed, which are the drow.  And the elves who never turned on their masters, the Sulatar, still believing to this day that the giants will return and bring them to the promised land.  They are masters of fire magic, and deadly enemies.  They hate the drow for turning on their masters, the giants. 

The Chest.

The chest sits on dais up near a makeshift platform that has been constructed. The chest is large, big enough for a person to fit inside, though probably only medium sized for a giant.  The wood is dark, like mahogany, with engravings of a combination of arcane symbols and various bug-like creatures (most of them looking like monstrous scorpions) shying away from glowing spheres.  The spheres themselves are rounded opals, while the eyes of the creatures (which they each have many!) are small rubies.  Instead of a lock, the chest has three twist dials, each dial having dozens of symbols.  

Arcana: It has a strong transmutation enchantment giving the lacquered wood the strength of adamantite, while the opals are providing an abjuration effect which Kayndar believes would frustrate divination effects.  The symbols on the other hand are interacting with dimensional magic in a way that Kayndar can't recognize.  Giant magic, and shes been similarly frustrated trying to understand their ways before.

 

 The dwarf leans towards Kayndar and winks, "My dear, the sponsors pay for this kind of excitement! And without danger, there could be no excitement.  But between myself and Jorin, we have some of the most powerful arcanists in the city!  Don't you worry and enjoy the show!"

Master Larrian ir'Morgrave has climbed the platform, and a few guards are helping move the chest to a more central position.  Its obvious that the big event is going to happen soon. 

 Anything else to ask/say, nows the time! 

Having problems? Contact me via email rmathis _at webcomic _dot_ net
Burning Wheel Rules Summary
My Websites: topwebcomics.com | Dark Mythos | Dndorks.com
Frandal  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:58:13 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Kayndar smiles to the dwarf.

" My good Master, I'll I just hope you didn't find the giant magic as obscure and tricky I've found myself in the past... "


Augrimm  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:57:13 AM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Lerissa's eyes fill with warmth as she smiles back at her master, "Indeed master.  May I have the honour of presenting Korihor, Anton, and Galadriel," Lerissa guestures to each in turn, "the brave souls that rescued Lady Deneith. The final member of their party, Kayndar, is currently in conversation with master Algave."  Turning to the group Lerrisa guestures to the old man.  "Everyone, this is my master, master magus Jorin El'than."

 @ Richard: Are we changing Jorin's surname to ir'Akno(which I assume is a more appropriate Ebberon name, I know very little about the ebberon setting) or was it a slip?  


Edited by user Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:12:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nandrossi  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:49:45 PM(UTC)
nandrossi

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 84

 Anton Nebrilto"Lerissa, you honor us too much.", Anton smiles, bowing his head This is my chance to really impress Lerissa by way of her master, "Master magus, your accomplishments are quite impressive.  What do you hope to accomplish with the artifacts you've recovered, or are you going to move on to some next archaeological dig?"

Anton's words resonate as he speaks, sounding almost like music. 

 Words of Friendship give +5 to diplomacy check.

Diplomacy 31 <---Booyah! 


dying_inxs  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:10:41 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Kvahlin

  standing next to Lerissa Kahlvin trys to use his Arcana powers to feel out any dangers from the box also Speaks out loud when he trys to rember anything related to this praticular digg that he may have read from books he been researching ....

 

 

 

 30 history

17 Arcana 


Frandal  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:20:24 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The drow just bow to the Master of Lerissa, once more she left the others lead the conversation. She's having a good time but her conversation with the dwarf master had awaken some memories of her homeland. She felt a little dizzy for a second so she closes her eyes, leaning herweight into her staff. It's just a second, and she quickly opens her eyes again, hoping nobody noticed it. She left anton's voice to calm her, he's showing his best so he must be very interested in Lerissa...


RichardM  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:31:49 PM(UTC)
RichardM

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 1/20/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,130
Location: Las Vegas

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

 Changing Jorin's surname It "was" a mistake, but ir'Akno will work better with my campaign so we'll just go with it. In fact, El'than will be his own surname, ir'Akno is his noble family, due to the marriage of his mother he doesn't actually have the ir'Akno name, but most people know him as an ir'Akno not as the unknown/common family El'than 

 

 Most folk carry a common surname, either a family name or a name related to their region of origin or job. Sorn Fellhorn, Kara of Windshire, and Tellan Magewright are all examples of naming conventions among the common folk of the Five Nations. Those born outside the Five Nations may follow this convention, or may not carry a name other than their given name.

The royal families that trace their roots to the original kings and nobles of the Five Nations, as well as those granted land and titles in more recent times, add an ir' in front of their surname. So, Queen Aurala of Aundair carries the name of Galifar's king, ir'Wynarn, while a cassal lord identifies himself as Lord Darro ir'Lain. This practice extends to the Mror Holds and Zilargo, where some dwarf and gnome families were granted titles by the Galifar rulers.

In a practice that predates Galifar and was introduced after the War of the Mark, those born of the blood of the dragonmarked houses add a d' to their surnames. Merrix d'Cannith, Orum d'Kundarak, and Elsen d'Medani are all blood members of the dragonmarked houses. 

Kahlvin strains to detect any dangers from the box, but fails to shift his view to that necessary to see the arcane weaves surrounding the box.  He knows they're there, but, as occasionally happens, he's too amped up by the situation to properly concentrate.

On the other hand, he does remember some information about the dig.

 The Excavation of the Tower of Lost Dreams, as known by Kahlvlin

The excavation had thought they had discovered the tower of lost dreams.  It was said that an artificer giant had built a device which made it so no one in their civilization would have to sleep, as it was while they slept that the giants suffered the most casualties from their enemies (nightmares).  

Instead the map had lead the group to another tower entirely, a collapsed tower deep within sulatar territory, which Jorin translated runes to discover the tower was the Tower of Lost Thoughts.  It had been a simple mistranslation that had led the group to this place, but Jorin was no less pleased.  The tower of lost thoughts was completely unknown to the history books, and seemed to be a laboratory of a variety of devices related to fighting the threat to the giants.  Rather than a single machine like the tower of lost dreams, the tower of lost thoughts had dozens of experimental devices.

 

 Jorin smiles at Anton's words, obviously pleased at someone taking a true interest in his work, and not just the excitement of going to the dark continent of Xendrik.  "Well you see, young man, my true hope is that my works will give some future generation the tools necessary to defeat whatever threat destroyed the giant civilization.  To this day we can't reproduce some of the wonders of the giants, if their same enemies came at us, I doubt we'd do any better than they.  It may very well be that what we recovered in this, or one of the other, digs, could be the tool necessary to ..."

As he's speaking, Larrian calls over to Jorin, "Jorin, master Algave, would you join me? Its time."

Jorin smiles, "...Well it seems its time, I'm sure we can continue this discussion another time, yes master Anton?"

Magus Jorin ir'Akno and the dwarf artificer climb up the steps to the chest and Larrian begins his speech.

Larrian speaks for a while about the effort Morgrave University has spent on these expeditions, forming groups to explore deep reaches of Xendrik and rediscover lost knowledge.  After a bit, the nobles seem to get restless, and he turns to the chest.  "So this is an exciting night!  The expedition was not able to unlock this chest until last night, so we thought it would be exciting if they opened it here, let everyone be the first eyes in 10,000 years to see whats in this chest!  Scrolls of ancient knowledge, schema useful to House Cannith, an artifact to rival a skyship?  It was in the midst of a lab dedicated to the creation of new artifacts, it could be anything, and most likely will be quite intriguing!"

 Master Algave kneels in front of the box.  Jorin pulls out a wand like a stage magician and stands nearby, "For everyone's protection!", he says, winking to Lerissa.  

Thats when  things go wrong.  At the moment that Jorin winks to Larissa, Master Algave clicks open the chest.  Something black and furry leaps out at his face at the same time as several more things leap out, one of them landing on Jorin's chest, while several dozen more jump out at the crowd who had pressed as close to the stage as possible.  Jorin and Master Algave immediately crumple to the ground, as do a few others.  One of the guards on the stage rushes in with a sword to pull the creature off of Algave when the creature looks up, hisses and leaps aside, the guard only just manages not to skewer the unmoving dwarf.  

People are screaming and like a herd of gazelle are immediately pulling away from the creatures.

The more perceptive members of the party just barely make out that the creatures are small, about the size of a dinner plate, and look like shiny black furry jumping spiders.  They seem to shimmer making them hard to see, the more directly you look at them the harder it is to make them out, only by using peripheral vision are you able to see what few details you "have" noticed, the multiple legs, the large fangs, the multiple multifaceted orange eyes.  

What you "do" see is Jorin and Algave not moving.  The dwarf is collapsed in front of the still open chest, while Jorin has collapsed off of the stage, spread out across another unlucky noble who was also bitten.

Within moments the creatures vanish, hidden among all of the art objects, or on the ceilings, its not clear.

Larrian had lept off of the stage when the things first came out and is yelling, "Containment! Containment!"  as he rushes towards the next room

Kalhvin, Korihor, Kayndar, and Anton (why do we have so many arcane characters? ;)) all feel a ripple in the air as purple shimmering walls come up in front of the entrance.  The crowd pushes them away as everyone panicks and rushes towards the big room on the opposite side that is still open, Larrian is herding them even as guards are rushing in to form a wall preventing any of the creatures from following the nobles into the next room.  

 The group can remain in the emptying exhibit room, or move with the rest of the nobles, Larrian is trying to get everyone  but the guards to go to safety in the next room, but you can resist if you like.  They're going to close the large doors as soon as possible though so they may not let you in afterward.

 

Having problems? Contact me via email rmathis _at webcomic _dot_ net
Burning Wheel Rules Summary
My Websites: topwebcomics.com | Dark Mythos | Dndorks.com
Users browsing this topic
Guest (Hidden)
11 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.286 seconds.