logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pink  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:51:49 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Groups: Registered

Hub City, home of the huddled nearly hopeless, where a badge is a license to bully and steal, where only bribes buy justice, and the law is a suit sewn to straightjacket the poor.  Heroes rarely rise from the midst of such debauchery, and most are butchered faster than a fatted calf come Christmas time.

But recently one has descended upon dark wings to prey upon the carrion that would call themselves criminals; if this city had any law left to circumvent.

This dark vision of vigilante justice is known now only as The Raven, but how long can he fly alone is the Question.  How long can he protect the city’s people before he himself is plucked from the black canvas of Hub City’s moralless night sky.

Pink  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:01:10 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

The Raven has decended upon two foul characters, almost made men, mooks of the highest caliber.

They know something, something about this city's strange visitor, the one who's managed to upset Hub City's indelicate balance for the worse.

alysium  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:11:18 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

Let's run with the char sheet I sent you for now... if I get a chance, I'll amend and send it on to you, if that's ok? 

It's night time. I've been tracking these two guys for the past hour. SIlently, I hop down from the rooftop and land behind them. Pulling myself to my full 6 feet 2 inches, I told them to stop. "You guys better stop what you're doing! The police are on their way!"

23 Awareness to see if The Raven knows what they're upto. (+9 Investigation)

27 Presence to put fear into the mooks. (+7 Intimidation) 

Pink  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:37:32 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Meat, and Hutch have been making a circuit of the local bars and brewing establishements where they can find a free drink and freer conversation.  They must have finally heard something though or they wouldn't be returning to Don Michael Pigilitoe's (aka The Big Pig) plush butcher shop.  You decided it would be best to stop them before they got too close to home though. 

Apparrently terrified of something else already, they turn towards your dark figure - "Hey was'u'mean" - "Yee'as weaze ain up ta nothin', jus tryan ta head on home" - "Youse costumed creeps needz ta stop harasen us unpright citazens--it's anuf ta give a guys a heart attack, what wit you an that clow..UMF" His words cut short by a persuasive hand slammed against his chest by his companion.  "Go away nightwing we got nothin' for ya, and ya got nothing on us."

5 + 4 = 9 

alysium  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:13:17 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

"Wrong, on two counts! You've been out scouting the bars for something for the Pig. I wanna know what! Also, I'm not Nightwing. I'm The Raven - you'd be better off remembering that!"

I head toward Meat and Hutch slowly. Defiantly. I lower the tone of my voice. "Squeal for me, piggies!" I wince internally. Puns, never mind strong point. I should remember to steer well away from them. "I don't want to have to hurt you."

26 Presence (+7 Persuasion)

Pink  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:10:50 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Meat literally squeels not sure if you're kidding and Hutch slugs him again.  "Fine, fine you want in that's fine, Clowns' more up your freakshow alley than ours, and you shouldn't call Mr. Pigilitoe that - he don't like it."

"All weeze know is some Joker from Gotham just blew in an he's got the whole city watchin' its back."

You're certain that he's holding something back, and both these tough guys look ready to bolt at the drop of a hat.

alysium  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:21:49 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

I hope I'm running this right...  

The Joker? Did I hear him right? The Joker from Gotham is in Hub City? This is big. Bigger than I can probably handle. Hell, there's noone else here to take up the challenge since the Question moved to Gotham... and became a female! I feel the onset of panic, but try to not let it show. 

27 Willpower (+5 Deception) to hide any fear he is probably feeling. 

"So," I start. "The Joker is here in Hub City? Aren't we a little small-fry for that big time meglomaniac? What else have you heard? C'mon, guys. The Joker isn't going to be good for business, the more you tell me now, the more chance I can get rid of him. I'll be doing Pigilitoe a favour!"

Pink  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:59:25 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

"Eh I don' figures he'll be heres dat long anyways dey say he wasa headed for da train station right offa da bat"

"I don know Hutch didn't they say he was gonna meet Eddy T first"

"Don't you evva knows when ta shut up Meat."

You haven't been working this side of the city for long, but long enough to recognize Eddy T's name, a theoretically legal chemist who moves small amounts of high percentage product from his small warehouse in the old city district, his real money comes from supplying some of those same chemicals at an even higher percentage to crooks and drug dealers who use it ta make up whatever mix is popular on the streets these days.

As for the train station...didn't you hear something about a 6 city train race set to commemerate the 1 year anniversary of the newest and most advanced train depot in all the central states.  6 trains leaving Hub City simultaneously to 6 different cities across the USA.

alysium  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 12:16:58 AM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

I'm not liking the information these creeps are giving me. I suppressed a smirk at Hutch's unintended pun. I had to weigh up my options; I could either follow the lead about Eddy T, or I could follow the lead to the station. Somehow, I had a horrible feeling in my gut that the Joker and Eddy T could be trafficking narcotics to the destinations of the 6 trains.

I made a quick mental list of new objectives:

• Find out what the Joker's doing here
  • Find out what the Eddy T has to do with the Joker
  • Find out which 6 cities the trains are heading to

This was going to be a long night, I could tell. 

"Why would the Joker be meeting Eddy T? What does he have to do with this? Surely, the stuff he cuts isn't strong enough for the Joker's like."

I take out my smartphone and tap into it the following keywords: Hub City, 1st Anniversary, Train Race. That should answer that question. I check the time, it's a little after 2am. If I'm not careful, Pigilitoe would be getting antsy that his guys haven't come back to the sty.

"You'd better get talking!" The smartphone beeped with some results.

Pink  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 8:58:08 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

"Geeze, we tolds ya whats we knows DarkWing, gives usa break, Mr. Pigilitoe's gonna be waitin' fors us."  Meat stammers out.

"Yeah"  Hutch replies "If'n youse so intrested in what Eddy T's got goin with that Wack Job from Gotham why doncha goes asks him yousevles.  We gots work ta do.  An as'n for the police, maysbees weeze aught ta be the one's callin' I hears dey don like vigilantes roughen' up honest citizens like the like of mees and Meat here."

"Yaz honest citizens."

Hub City first annual 6 train race September 6th 2010

The usual PR hype contains the following actual informatin

6 Cities are:

Mobile Alabama, Roanoak Virginia, Cleveland Ohio, Minneapolis Minnesota, Dallas Texas, Great Bend Kansas

All reachable in about 16 hours by train - All trains will carry passengers and baggage only no cargo - Festivities begin at 10:00am

Trains set to depart at 4:00pm - All will be powered by Amtrack Train Fuel with the new Super T' additive making them entirely Carbon Monoxide free and Enviormentally Friendly.  Come out and see the new Green Trains of the Future, fun for the whole familly.

This is the first time the race has been held since the old Station House was closed down 6 years ago, but now that the new Staion House and full service train station have been up and running for a full year having taken the place of the temporary station landing which kept train traffic moving during its construction.  In addition the Smithsonian has released the Old John Bull to the Hub City Station house (for a record 50 Million dollars) to be the center piece to the stations New Take on the Traditionally styled Train Station.  Watch engineers fire up the oldest running train in American History and possibly the world not seen in service since 1981.

alysium  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 9:27:05 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

"You wouldn't know honest even if it was your mother's name!" I step forward, grab a head in each hand and slam them together as hard as I can. Hopefully, it'll knock them out, or at the very least give them a headache, then I can start trying to figure out exactly what it is the Joker and Eddy T are doing together.

31 + Close Combat: Unarmed + Close Attack Adv. (I can't work out how damage is worked out...) 

Pink  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 11:22:30 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

In this case it would be based upon your strenght.  Opponenets would roll a d20+toughness against your Str+15 (+15 is for all damage resistence tests) 20 an amazingly good roll leaves them more startled than anything else, but by the time they are ready to react you are winging your way towards your next destination leaving those two befuddled loosers behind. 

Where to next Raven, the 6th of September is Monday the Labor Day Holiday and only 6 days away.

Oops I didn't notice that you rolled a natural 20, that would be a critical hit so I'm going to say you leave them in a neat little pile on the side of the street (alley) with more than a few minutes to persue your agenda before they rise and rouse the other little pigs. 

alysium  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:05:04 AM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

With the mooks down for the count, I grappled my way toward the rooftops of Hub City and made my way back to where I'd left the Raven's Wing, I'm not going to hang around and wait for the cops to show. As Hutch said, "vigilantes" aren't well received here. This isn't Gotham, they keep telling us. But that just brings me back to thinking about the Joker. Why is he here? Part of me thinks that Batman, or the Justice League will have tabs on him, but at the same time. Think what they'd think of me if I take down the Joker! 

Within 30 minutes I'm back at the bike. I eat a protein bar to keep my energy levels up, and send the information back to the Nest. I use keywords to keep it brief: Meat, Hutch, rumours, Joker, Hub City Central, Train Race, Eddy T. The connection still eludes me. However, that means nothing. It's 0230, the night is young.

First things first, I need to find out what Eddy T is up to. I recall the address of a former drug dealer who is now a contact of mine. His apartment is only a couple of blocks from here, it's time to pay him a visit.

The night is starting to come alive again as people are milling between the clubs on the Social Strip in the City. Best to take the back roads, and not be seen. Wouldn't be wise to be caught on camera speeding through town to have the cops tailing me. 

Pulling up behind his tenement block, I flick on the camouflage on the bike. The sleek, satin black shimmers briefly and is quickly replaced with a fade exterior, covered in spots of rust. It blends in to the area easily. This isn't the better side of town, and consequently it's seen better days. The smell of garbage is almost overpowering. I pull out the grapple gun and fire a shot off to the fire escape on the 14th floor. Testing the cable to see if it'll sustain my weight the escape yawns in protest, but once the line starts to reel itself it feels safe enough as my ascent begins.

The summers here can be bad. The summers in this part of town are worse! The old buildings aren't fitted with aircon, and the heat makes the garbage smell worse. Yet, everybody sleeps with windows wide open, and fans - facing internally, and externally - attempt to circulate the rotten air.

I climb in through the window. He's sleeping. I announce my arrival: "Ahem. Worm, wake up!" He stirs... 

Pink  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:26:15 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Startled by your announcement he reaches for the piece you've already removed from under his pillow rolls a young girl off his lap onto the floor and tries to turn to face you in the near dark of the city lit room.  She's still breathing though shallow its a shame what people will do when they want the high more than anything reality has to offer them, but that can't be your concern now.  Your concern must be for those left that want to live, for those who haven't yet found their escape from this world.

"Damn - Worm, Raven is that you geesus you scare a bastard half ta death like that."  His hand moves from under his pillow towards a glass pipe on a stand near his bed.  "What the hell do you want?  Can't you see I've got compny?"

alysium  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:37:32 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

"I need information. Eddy T. What sort of drugs is he running at the moment?" I look pointedly at the tube, and shake my head. I guess it could be worse. 

Pink  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:44:50 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

His small torch ignites the white rock within the pipes bowl and he sucks down a sizeable lung full of its noxious smoke before exhaling it into the air.

"Eddy T, shit, he's out a busness.  Closed up shop a few days back aint take'n no ones' calls anymore.  Word is he's gone legit."

alysium  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:58:49 PM(UTC)
alysium

[View User Details]

"Closed up a few days ago? Why the sudden change of heart? I want you to find out what he's up to." I reach for a pen and paper from the Worms nightstand and jot down a number. "You find anything out, you can contact me here." A cloud of the fumes passes my face, and I let out a cough. "That stuff will seriously screw you up. You really should think about giving it up!"

I head back out the window, turning back to him I nod. "Until then." I fire off the grapple gun and make my return to the rooftops.

Sounds of sirens fill there air. Not a particularly new sound, but it sounds like there are more tonight than usual. What kind of havoc is the Joker planning, I wonder. There isn't much more I can do tonight, so I head back to the cycle, but I tune in the police scanner in my cowl to keep me apprised of anything happening. 

Providing nothing needs my attention, I'll head to bed and try to crack on with this tomorrow.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm at a slight loss lol. Also, I _might_ have someone to join us, but it's not official yet.

Pink  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:35:36 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

After knocking down two creeps coming out of an all night burger joint with bags not laden with lard encrusted fries and leaving them for what laughably passes as the law in this town to tend to, you head to bed mind still swimming with what Meat and Hutch said, The Joker (realy), Eddy T closing up shop, the train station, maybe he's left already--that would make your day, the old station, the new station, the 6 city race, Green Trains and fuel additives, Eddy T legit?  He always kept his license, but in a city like this that's not that hard since no one ever looks beyond the last pay-off, no ones' ever cared what kind of chemicals that scum brings into town.  The Jon Bull huh....oldest train in America, maybe the world $50,000,000 and you drift off to a fitful sleep hoping a summer sun will clear your mind, but come morning unrested and upset from unremembered dreams an early morning haze that will lead to a humid day is all that greets you.

Your computer had a better night than you did though:

A complete list of "VIPs" who will publically be in attendance

The route of all 6 trains from Hub city to their destination

City plans for both the old and new train stations

Complete press releases from the Smithsonian detailing the history of the Jon Bull steam engine

The Amtrack press release on the new Super T' fuel additive and their commitment to go all green by 2013.

Pink  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:31:06 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Going throught the VIP list you find nothing surprising - The Mayor, some city council members, a member of the Smithsonian Society, a handful of Amtrak officials, and some local celebrities.

You print out maps of the train routes and go throught them finding no clues.

Nothing immediate presents itself regarding the city plans for either the old or new train station though you familiarize yourself with both, the new station sitting only a few hundred feet beneath the old which resides upon a small hill on the north side of the city and is still used to store old train cars.  Demo of the old station is set to begin in 2016 but currently no developer has shown any interest in the site which is owned by the city.

You read through the Jon Bull Smithsonian information http://enc.slider.com/Enc/John_Bull_%28locomotive%29 (if you care) and it doesn't spark anything.  Though its $50,000,000 price tag is impressive (your tax dollars at work) and quite a cost to the economically depressed city.

The Amtrack press release makes a big deal about going Green and the new Super T fuel additive developed by Mountebank EnviormenTal which will be added to all 6 of the competeing trains to prove that it not only diminishes carbon dioxide emmission to 0 but does not impede performance in any way.  The newly formed Mountebank EnviormenTal chemical company a local HubCity enterprise only released this product for testing in the wake of the Amtrack races announcement, a good will effort between new industry and the enviorment.

Pink  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:15:24 PM(UTC)
Pink

[View User Details]

Ring' Ring'

"Hey this is Chris, you wanted I should find out all I could about Eddy T'--well here's the scoop.  He started shooin' off after hours customers about a week or two ago it seems, I don't do much of my business through him so what do I know.  Seems he's gone legit like I said partnered with some money man out of Gotham callin' themselves Montebank Enviormental or some such, still workin' outa the same small warehouse somekinda revolutionary breakthrough gonna make him rich.  Somethin ta do with trains or fuel or whatever...I always thought they ran on steam, what do I know...So seein' as I'm doin' you a solid here man, maybe you can square me up--competitions tight on this side of town, Boney...you know boney, that skinny peck a wood what works the same white life as me, he's been using his teen girls he's shillin on craigslist to move his powder in the local high school --figured you might want to help save the children an all."