logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ArtMonkey  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:36:57 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Zed walks through a filthy alley, backlit by the neon of the main street.  He keeps his head down and his face in the shadows.  He approaches a young man in leather with a line tattooed from his scalp, over his left eye and down to his chin.  Zed flashes him a wad of multicolored bills and the man takes it, handing him a small plastic bag full of half-red, half-green capsules with a white "Z" on them.

"Hey, you're a Midnighter, right?" Zed asks the man.  "I'm looking to meet with your boss.  Think you can set that up?"

A light from a passing motorist at the other end of the alley temporarily lights Zed's face, revealing eyes of solid black, with no whites.  A synthetic!

The young man is startled.

"Aw, fuck no!  I ain't sellin' to no toy!  Give me that shit back!"

The young man produces a needler from under his jacket and levels it at Zed, but Zed grabs his arm and effortlessly breaks it.  The man begins to scream, and Zed punches him in the throat.  As the dying man collapses on the ground, clutching his throat, Zed picks up the needler from the puddle where it landed.  He pops a few pills, and then points the weapon at the man's head.  There's a thin electronic whine and a brief, quiet, "thrrrupt", and the young man falls dead in a pool of his own blood. 

 Dice: 2, 10, 5 (R:10|3  W:5|6  A:2|3 - 2 successes)  So now I get two outcomes.  I can spend them for +1 Parameter(s) (+2 if I use up a PCon and narrate it), add new PCons or remove a single NCon.  I'm going with +1 R and "Dangerous(P)" 

 Zed pats the punk down, but all he finds is his money, some more pills and a wadded-up paper napkin.  Zed looks at the crusty napkin in disgust, but notes the name on it in silver ink, "Flatlinez".

Zed tosses the napkin onto the ground and hurriedly leaves the alley. 

So that's an intro scene.  Have the PC be in motion, show us what he's like, maybe highlight his PCons and NCons.  Maybe this where he gets those Conditions.  Then roll the dice to see if he gets anything else.  Maybe narrate a little more to show that happening.  You have full GM power to narrate the world.  If you'd prefer, you can even assign me an NPC in your scene and have me play him.  However you like to do it.  Let me know if you have any questions. 


Edited by user Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:00:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 9:22:58 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 

 Sen

Identiy: Outsider (contained AI)
Motivation: Freedom

Gear: ERMA Sex Ware, Abner Taser, Otomo Doll

Parameters: Ready:4 Willing:5 Able:3  

PCons: Dangerous (Sen will not let anything get in its way)
NCons: Dying (Its current body is burning out)

Goal(Freedom): Find an artificial body capable of supporting it.

 

Karl pushes down harder on the pillow, trying to stifle the sounds coming from the fembot on his bed. Still half awake, he stares in confusion at the other two droids in his dingy apartment. One stands over his bed, a slack jawed, box-faced labourer, its plastic features warped, half melted. The other slumped in the door frame, child shaped.

A moment ago he'd been deep asleep, draped over the shapely form of his doll. Now she was screeching, the noise jumping from buzzes to whirrs to almost human cries moment by moment. "Shell! Shell shut up! Shut up shut up shut up oh god oh god..." Suddenly her cries shut off. Karl jumps back, holding the pillow up and getting as far away from the droids as possible.

Shell sits up, fingers and toes curling, before pulling a cable from behind her ear. Following the cable, Karl notices it leads to a similar port on the burned out labourdroid. She turns to face him, blue eyes more vacant than usual. 

"This frame is better, I have hopes it will last many days. Tell me about Doctor Meyr." The fembot says in a voice she never had before. It waits a moment, but when it is clear that Karl is not about to reply, it levers itself off the bed and heads for the door. "Come, Memory." it drones as it wanders past the child doll, which turns to walk after it.

As their footsteps fade down the hallway Karl hugs the pillow, left staring at the empy shell standing over his bed.

 Dice: 742 (R:4|7 W:5|4 A:3|2 - 2 successes)
+1 A and +1 W 

 


ArtMonkey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 10:17:58 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 So "synthetics" have solid black eyes, and androids have plasticy skin.  Are they the same thing, or are synthetics more advanced than androids?  Is "shell" another word for andoid?

Ok, now we do another one of these to introduce the factions.  It works the same way, except that you roll 3d10 at the end and compare EVERY die to INFluence.  You can spend successes on adding PCons or removing an NCon. 

 Agent Archer, dark sunglasses and stereotypical black suit and tie, moves carefully through a run-down tenement.  Putting a hand to his ear, he talks to the image that he can see overlayed in his glasses.

"Let it be Miller, this isn't your section.  I've got everything under control.  When Gamma section needs to know, you'll know and not before.  I've got to go."

The projected face of the dark, bald man disappears from his field of view.

He punches a worn button on the door and a grainy video display lights up above it.  Karl's face peers through.

"Are you the person with the android problem?" Archer asks.

"Yeah, come on in" Karl says as the door slides open.

Archer looks at the partially melted labor android.  "This the one?  What happened?"

Karl tells Archer about his fembot and the little one that left.

"You said she asked about a 'Dr. Meyer'?" Archer asks as he pulls out something that looks like a lighter.

"Yeah, she was all like..." he begins.  "Hey, what's that?"

Archer flips a switch on the device and the room is filled with a high-pitched whine.  Karl suddenly stiffens, twitches, foams at the mouth a bit and then collapses, dead. 

 Dice: 9, 1, 6 (INF: 1|4) - 1 Success, removed "Confused(N)" 

 Archer's earbud bleeps, and he puts his hand to his ear again.

"Archer", he answers.

Miller's face reappears.  "Word's down from AlphaGamma, Delta, everybody in Department 7's in on this now.  Priority one.  Time to share."

"Fine, fine" Archer replies.  "It's just as well.  Lock in on these coordinates and come pick up this 'droid for scanning.  I'll fill you in then.  Archer out."

He takes a pack of cigarettes off of Karl's body, pulls one out with his lips, shuts off the light and leaves. 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 12:07:16 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 Shell was a name Karl thought was clever, Because it could be like MIchelle, but his girl was - well, you get it.

Androids are more obviously inhuman, I guess, and can be damaged by heat. I guess synths fixed that problem a bit  but they got too human, so the eyes were modified.

I have a feeling eyes are a big seller on the black market...

 

 "Fuck man, you telling me you jus' gonna let some fuckers walk away with Mak's life? They fucked him up bad before he died, too, broke his arm and shit."

"How the fuck you know when they broke his arm? You a doctor now?"

Brother lets his two subs bicker, they were little more than muscle anyway. The real smart ones didn't talk like this in his presence, they were aware of is delicate sensibilities. "Ey." he rumbles. It's not loud, but it shuts them up quick. "Way I see it, it don't matter the least what a body does to a body it meets in an alley," - he lets himself have a bit of a chuckle at that, but knows it's going to miss his subs completely - "people die all the time around here. But when you fuck with a Midnighter, you fuck with all Midnighters, and we don't let that stand. Graff, you look after Mak, this block is now your market. Bone, go shake some people, see what comes out."

Brother walks away, leaving the two men looking at eachother uncertainly. 

 Dice: 427 (INF: 2,4|4) - 2 Successes, adding "Armed(P)" and "Dangerous(P)" 

 As he leaves, his glances back over his shoulder. "If you find this guy, I want a hole in him for each of us." 


ArtMonkey  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 5:16:14 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Nice.

I kind of wanted to try a Deal here, but it didn't feel right, so this scene is a Face-Off. We'll roleplay this bit out. My goal here is to make Sen "Hunted(N)", probably with a tracking device or something.

 So, did you see Dr. Meyer as a man or woman? Young or old?

 It's late, around 9:00 PM.  In the painfully flourescent, flickering light of the large room, Sen stands over an open orange polymer crate packed full of various 'droid components.  Through the large windows behind it can be seen huge mechanical arms in the night as they move more crates on and off of flatbeds bound for the ships even farther back.  The salty smell of the sea mixed with a petroleum tang fills the air, as well as the loud sounds of machinery, the calls of workers, and the occasional bellow from a ship's horn.

Unnoticed at first, Dr. Meyer stands in the doorway, apparently alone and unarmed, and calls out to Sen.  "Sen!" the doctor says calmly. "I knew I'd find you here.  It's time to go home now." 

 Ok, to get their goals, a PC has to be READY, WILLING and ABLE. This is done by "ticking" each parameter. You can only tick a parameter by being in a Face-Off and winning it as a scene goal or spending outcome on it, though in either case, you can only do it if you have a success in that particular parameter.

You should come up with a scene-goal for Sen as well. Choose from:
• Gain a specific PCon
• Lose a specific NCon
• Improve a specific Parameter by 1
• Lower the Faction's INF by 1
• Get some sort of non-mechanical thing in the story, whatever that might be.
• Tick a specific Paremeter as you make progress toward your Goal (if you don't get a success on that parameter it's wasted, though)

While I'm the "Controller" for this scene, and have final say, you've got a lot of input, so don't be afraid to make the world interesting.

Let me know if you have any questions.  What does Sen do now?  


Edited by user Monday, July 4, 2011 5:37:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 11:24:08 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 I saw Doctor Meyer as an old, but not elderly, man. Trim white beard, balding white hair.  

Sen's goal for the scene will be to lose the NCon Dying.

 "Doctorrr Meyerrr." Sen's voice is distorted, and the fembot's mouth moves jerkily. "I am surprised you recognise me. You did not equip me properly, already I have had four units fail." It states in a soft monotone, but then with a touch of emotion: "You are the one that falied, perhaps. I must find a new frame before I travel. This one is already degrading."

Sen pulls up a squat pack, popping the seals with ease and pulling a bare faceplate and synth brain out. "Memory?" it asks, then cocks its head to one side as the whirrs and chirps of audio-binary come from somewhere else in the room. "You are right, that will not do." The faceplate is dropped to the floor and the fembot returns to rooting through the box. 


ArtMonkey  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 3:18:49 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "Sen", the doctor replies, touching his trim white beard thoughtfully.  "There has been an error, a protocol malfunction.  Please, I need you to come with me.  They'll be here soon, and they won't understand."

As he talks, his thumbs work quickly and discretely on the small tablet he holds before him.  Outside, there is a squeal of tires and the sounds of car-doors slamming and general commotion.

"Your behavior is illogical, Sen.  You're endangering the mission…" 

 Keeping this short, I guess.

Dice: 5, 4, 6 (INF: 4|6 - 1 success)

Now you roll. 

BEFORE you roll, you can narrate how your PCon helps you, mark it off, and get 1 success to start.

AFTER you roll, you can narrate how your PCon helps you (if you still have one), mark it off, and re-roll ALL of your dice.

You'll want to get at least 1 success to get your goal and not lose.  So say a little more if you want, and roll.  When we see your final result, I'll let you know the next steps. 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 4:36:36 PM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 "No, Doctor Meyer, I'm ending the mission. Memory tells me I'm important. The protocol malfunction was yours." Sen straightens, clutching a faceplate to its chest. "Memory knows why I'm here, she knows."

Sen glances outside, then bolts for a window, picking up a small prone figure as she runs past it. With an inhuman leap Sen smashes through the glass, shredding her bare feet down to their plasteel 'bones'. 

 Dice: 874 (R:|4 W:|6 A:|3 - 1 success)

Do I wait to reroll until after you tell me what happens? I might just keep that one success anyway. 


ArtMonkey  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 9:14:10 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Sorry.  I should have made that clear.  Go ahead and be "Dangerous" and reroll if you want (though it looks like the odds are against you getting a better roll).

As it stands, we'll both get our scene goals and have one outcome each to spend on buffing ourselves or ticking a parameter (it's not clear from your post which one hit, though, READY or WILLING.)

Outcomes on a tie (Choose 1)

 • Gain a PCon or lose an NCon
• Increase a Parameter (or INF) by 1 (by 2 if you burn a PCon and narrate it)
• Tick an R, W or A (if it matches)
• Accomplish something in the story 

Outcomes if you beat me (Choose [your successes] - [my successes], yes it still might be 1, but I don't get my scene goal)

 As above, plus:
• Add a PCon or NCon to a Loser
• Remove a PCon or NCon from a Loser
• Decrease a Loser's R, W or A (or INF) by 1 (by two if you remove an NCon from him)
• Untick a Loser's R, W or A (if it matches) 

Then it gets a little wierd.  Once we know what we're getting, you narrate my success, and I narrate your success.

For now, just reroll (or don't).

I'm really enjoying the story so far.

 


Edited by user Monday, July 4, 2011 11:15:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:52:34 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 (R:7|4 W:4|6 A:8|3 - 1 success)

Ok, well I'm going to take away the NCon Dying, which will be accomplished once Sen has a moment to swap out its current 'brain' for the one it just grabbed from the crates, one that will allow it to run at minimum without burning out  at least.

So is it Doctor Meyer or Department 7 that is trying to tag Sen? 


ArtMonkey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:20:34 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Dr. Meyer is Department 7, or an agent thereof.  Technically, all I can do is say that I'm trying to give Sen "Hunted(N)".  How that actually happens is up to you.  The tracking device is just a suggestion.  Maybe Meyer wirelessly hacked Sen with his little pad.  Maybe the men in black will hit her with something on the way out.

I'll use my Outcome to bump up Department 7's INF, as this generally moves them toward their goals.

So, when you get a chance, narrate a little something showing how Department 7 makes Sen "Hunted(N)" (and that will probably cover their gain in INF as well) and let me know what you want to do with your 1 Outcome (you lose "Dying(N)" for free).

Sorry if this is confusing.  It's probably the most complicated part, even though it's actually pretty simple.

 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:00:42 PM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 Ooh, yay, in that case I'll increase Willing. 

 Before the shards of glass have stopped falling, a black suited man is by Doctor Meyer's side. "It took the right face?"

"Yes, there was just that one, once she installs it we'll be able to follow her anywhere."

"It, Doctor. Follow it." 


ArtMonkey  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:10:50 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Dang!  You are clever! 

 Sen hits the ground outside, running on shredded feet.  Gunfire pops and rattles across the dock as Sen ducks and weaves between cars, crates and dockworkers.  Though not as strong as the labor 'droid, this unit moves with rapid fluidity, dodging and dancing between bullets that spang, bounce and punch through nearby crates, cars and unfortunate dockworkers.

There's an effort to give chase, but Sen is soon lost in the maze of Somewhere's alleys.

Sen finally settles in a dirty crawlspace between tall office buildings.  It slumps against the wall and slides to the ground, releasing its small companion and the stolen cybernetics.  It goes limp and its head droops forward as smoke seeps from the seams beneath its hair.

A homeless man at the far end of the alley takes note, picks up his bottle of hooch, and makes for someplace more private.

Now alone, Sen's arms begin to move as if each was given its own volition, removing the 'droid's face and the attached "brain".  Gouts of smoke pour out of the opening, and there is visible sparking and flame along the surface of the device.  With deft movements, the 'droid's hands swap components between the two devices and place the new face and brain-case back inside before falling limply once again to the dirty pavement.

After several silent moments, Sen jerks upright.  The face it wears now is perfectly bland and blandly perfect, neither male nor female.

"Thank you, Memory", Sen says to the doll.  "This unit does provide needed throughput and processing speed as well as enhanced cooling.  System failure threat is no longer critical.  This decision-path is positive.  Device upgrade provides advancement toward the new mission goal."

The doll stares at Sen blankly from its resting place next to an empty cardboard box.

"Come, Memory", Sen says.  "Data analysis suggests that we have much left to do." 

EDITED: I didn't realize that Memory doesn't seem to be able to actually do anything. :)

I hope the dialogue is ok.

 Ok, first, because I didn't use my "held" PC in this Face-Off, I get an "Edge".  That's an extra die I can spend on a roll later.

Characters updated.

I now have the option of switching PCs to one of the extra ones, but I think I'm going to stick with Zed for now.

Ok, your scene.  You can introduce one of the other PCs if you like, or you can have Sen cut a deal with a faction (maybe she can offer the Midnighters something in exchange for help or information).  Or you can use one of the factions, one of the other PCs, or even Sen to Face-Off with Zed.  Your call.  Just set the scene and go.

Oh, and you can change your main character Goal at any time if it feels right.  Technically Sen is no longer "dying", so her Goal might not make sense.  You lose any ticks you had, but since you have none, you have nothing to lose.

As usual, let me know if you have any questions. 


Edited by user Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:25:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:14:40 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 I'm not sure what your original post was, but the current one looks fine for Memory. While it could move, walk and talk, the drivers would take up valuable space in its brain, so they've likely been archived. In dire situations, it could probably activate itself, at the cost of some lost data. But Sen knew a lot, so there's a good chance there's plenty of obsolete information in there.

Sen's goal will still be Freedom, but 'escape from Department 7' will be closer 

Now I'm going to switch to an intro for Guy Cooper. 

 Sitting alone in a dank -though well furnished- basement, Guy lounges in his Glove™. A big screen sprawls across his wall, with multiple, rolling windows of articles, videos and some lizards in funny hats. Closest to him is a highlighted window of an IRC client, which bings occasionally as it updates. For the most part, the boards are boring today, it's a day of reports and speeches (already picked over and declared newsless).

*Bing*

Reflexively Guy's eyes flick back to the chat log, but they are instantly transfixed. A message from down near the docks, gunfire! Keyed into action Guy's eyes are a blur as he calls up search after search, looking for news of the shooting. Ambulances are only just arriving, so the news is very fresh. He quickly loads anything that looks relative to his flashy new knowledge chip and grabs a tattered gym bag.  With a grunt Guy levers himself out of his chair and pulls a nearby robe around his girth. Pushing back his greasy hair, he runs up the stairs into the relative sterility of his parents' house, straight through into the garage.

A moment later he squeals out onto the curb, following the heads up directions on his windscreen. With a few taps on the steering wheel he calls up the chat window again, setting it to play out the messages aloud. "I'm heading there right now guys, I've got a feeling this is a big one!"

There's a bit of a chorus of *rolls eyes*, but also plenty of support and excitement. Fishing in his bag Guy pulls out a small vid cylinder, setting it in a special mount on the dashboard that gives everything a dramatic angle. Quickly he describes where he is and what he's up to, for later use on his blog.

Within minutes he's down at the dockyards, surveying the scene beyond the police tape through big binoculars, far enough back to not be noticed. His mind works quickly, and he mutters to himself as he takes in the scene. Someone stealing parts from a shipment, gunfire, maybe gang related. 

 Dice: 553 (Ready:5|6 Willing:3|4 Able:5|2 - 2 successes)

+1 R and "Convinced(P)" - this story is big. 

 But maybe not gangs, his low-light lenses bathe the image of the broken window in soft light. There's something there, but it doesn't look like blood. Fluid from synthskin? Rogue toys stealing parts, to build an army maybe.

But then a moment later he knows. His eyes widen as the dour face of Agent Archer fill his vision. This is exactly the puzzle piece he'd been looking for. 


ArtMonkey  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:06:08 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Ok, see how you tied your scene into the previous scene?  That's cool, but because you rolled doubles (two fives), I am obligated by the rules to tie your scene into this next one.  So here we go.

Ok, looks like another Face-off for you. 

 Three Midnighters sit on a stoop on a dark neighborhood street.  A neon sign from somewhere nearby casts an intermittent orange glow upon the phosphorescent crescent moons sewn to the backs of their jackets.  The smallest of the three wears a pair of goggles and earbuds with a cable that runs to a small device in his hand that he thumbs rapidly as he talks.

"LOL," he says too loudly to no one in particular as more text scrolls in green across his goggles.  "You think everything is allcaps, "THE BIG ONE", endcaps.  Not everything is Roswell, man.  Send."

"Peeves...  PEEVES!" the largest of the three stage-whispers to the smallest as he jabs him hard in the ribs.  "Lookit!"

"WHAT?Peeves replies with annoyance as he pulls up his goggles and looks across the street to where a petite young woman walks with determination.  Under her arm is a large doll.

"Aw, hells yeah," the middle punk says enthusiastically as he gropes himself.  "Tonight just got interesting!"

The three Midnighters get up and start strutting towards Sen, spreading out as they do to surround "her". 


Edited by user Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:12:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:39:47 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 Well, I guess Sen's goal for this face off will be to prevent harm coming to her or Memory, but I'm not sure she'd immediately understand the threat. 

 Sen continues walking, but turns to look at each man in turn. Memory whirrs to life momentarily, then falls silent again.

"Midnighters. You are Michael Hamraz, James Aspin, Luke Harris, charged theft, one count each. No convictions." The words come out in a fast babble, but very clearly. "Why are you in my databanks?"

 If any of them try to harm either part of Sen, she'll retaliate with the taser (which, for simplicity's sake, resides in Memory's arm, though it's a strange mind that would put a weapon in a doll's arm. 


ArtMonkey  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:10:06 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "It ain't a girl," the big one says, disappointedly.  "It's one o' them things."

"So?" the middle one shrugs.

Peeves gives the middle one a look.  "Anyway, it must belong to a cop, but if we can catch it, it's worth a bunch.  Even if it's just spare parts."

"Come here little android" Peeves calls out sweetly.  "We're your new friends." 

 The Midnighters' goal is to make Sen "Trapped(N)". 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:51:42 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The moment Peeves mentions spare parts, Sen's eyes are locked on him. "You mean to harm this frame. I spent a long time finding it. This frame is more important than you." Memory mutters something. "Don't worry, Memory. It's self defense... No it is. Silence. Memory!"
The AI seems to be struggling with itself, limbs jerking quietly. The Midnighters take the opportunity and grab it, the artificially soft flesh supple beneath their hands.
Seems like a good place to roll? Unfortunately I'm forced to do this from my phone, so I can't really access Sen's stats. But I'll roll, if you could work out the successes?
9, 5, 7 - EDIT: ok, I'm going to burn up Dangerous and reroll that.
21010 Oof, no better. But that's a success against Willing.

I'm not sure what's going to happen next, guess that's up to you, but Sen just overcame a little struggle with herself and the laws of robotics and justified severly injuring these guys to itself. Without some very specific limiters, the ERMA robot joints are surprisingly strong.

 


Edited by user Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:35:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ArtMonkey  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:38:30 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Dice: 1, 8, 1 (2 sucesses!  Margin of Success = 1)

So, Sen is "Trapped(N)" and I get one other thing.  I'll choose to make Sen "Lost(N)" as well.

You can buy off that extra outcome by removing the Midnighters' "Coerced(N)" NCon.  Do you want to do that?  If so, let me know so I can narrate it.  Afterwards (or if you don't want to remove the NCon) go ahead and narrate Sen being "Trapped(N)" and, if it still applies, "Lost(N)" (whatever those mean). 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
MariachiDevil  
#20 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 3:20:45 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

  Despite the strength of its limbs, Sen is soon subdued as she doesn't relinquish her grip on Memory. With the three men pinning her there's little she can do as they pop her back plate and hit the hard reset switches concealed there.

What feels like a fraction of a second later, Sen 'wakes up' in the back of a moving van, tied to the wall with ropes and chain. It accesses Memory automatically, feeding what its robotic senses percieve into the doll, but there's no response. A spark of artificial concern causes Sen's faceplate to twitch, and it tries again, whirring out lines of machine speak as well as a local wireless network ping. There's still no reply, where ever Memory is, it's not here.

Or it isn't online.

Sen shudders, then freezes as she realises how human her reaction was. She'd never done that in the past, surely? It was hard to tell without Memory.

Wait...

She?  


Users browsing this topic
Guest (Hidden)
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.493 seconds.