logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

24 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Augrimm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:56:34 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

 Stub post of the 2nd chapter of my RotS game.  Everyone playing please register.  

For those who haven't chosen their item reward (and most of you haven't), please PM me with the details of the item you've chosen.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, check the first chapter game thread. :)

Game should get underway around Monday.... hopefully.  Maybe sooner if I get some time this weekend. 


Augrimm  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 11:21:17 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Welcome back guys!  Hope you enjoyed Chapter 1 and are ready of the next round.  :)

 Several days have passed since the end of Chapter 1. The ancient Turathi fortress of Darkspire seems the logical place to look go to learn more of the Scourged Legion and possibly to thwart their ambitions.  It also seems that this is where "Lord Tathos", the tiefling who led the raid has gone, taking the fabled Frostfang sword with him.  To reach Darkspire you have a choice to make.   Two apparent paths stand before you....... either to make the arduous overland journey or to risk travel through the unknown perils of the ShadowGate's paths.

 With aid from the local scholars as well as scraps of information left within the Von Staul's records, Bernard is able to piece together the location of the fortress (Passive History: 19).  About 10 days hard march from here lie the blasted Wastelands, a desolate and harsh area created by the unleashing of terrible arcane engines of destruction by both the Sorcerer Lords of Arkhosia and the Warlocks of Bael Turath during their long conflict.  The blighted remains of this once fertile region were abandoned by the civilized races and taken over by those driven from other lands, mostly savage humanoid tribes of orcs, gnolls, ogres, and the like.  The Wastelands are also home to a wealth of bizarre aberrations, creatures twisted and changed by the massive energies that destroyed almost all life within the area.  Travel through the Wastelands is deadly and perilous, as the blighted lands still radiates unnatural heat as a lingering after-effect of the destructive magics.  The soil is hard and dry, unfit for growing plant life and so food and water are in scare supply and what oasis remain are heavily guarded by the savage tribes or nightmarish monsters.  The spiraled tower of Darkspire lies more than a weeks travel within these lands.  Travel will require bringing along extra provisions and careful navigation, as there is little in the way of known landmarks to help guide outsiders through the Wastes.

Studying the remains of the book found within the deepest chamber of the Fallen's crypt, Elviar aided by Raiaan, feels confident that he could manage to re-open the ShadowGate (Passive Arcana: 27!).  As both the orc savage you captured earlier and the message you found on the crypt's desk confirm, the Scourged came here through the ShadowGate themselves, and so it must stand to reason that the Gate could be used to travel to Darkspire from here.  The Realm of Shadows is a dangerous place.  Simply being there drains away at both life and emotion, Making use of it's Ways perilous.  Dread creatures inhabit it as well..... beings that hate and fear the light as well as hapless souls that have fallen prey the plane's dark power.  Travel though the Realm of Shadow endangers no only one's life, but perhaps one's very soul..... 

What do you do?


Tuomari  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 3:40:11 AM(UTC)
Tuomari

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2009(UTC)
Posts: 697
Location: Finland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

"Well sounding of our options both routes would be worse than any man who's mind is lost would travel. But Personally I would prefer if we'd stick to route where well at least face something familiar instead of the unknown of Shadowgate. How about you guys?" Bernard asks and studies the maps carefully, while sipping his beer.


Sane when drunk, Crazy when sober.
dying_inxs  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 3:46:12 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

behind Bernard" interesting i agree with the priest we should stick to what we know the gate unnerves me luckly time doesnt seem to be a major factor"


MariachiDevil  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 7:04:49 AM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/21/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 Zarun plays with his new dagger, flicking it back and forth between his fingers. He grimaces at the map, thinking how hard the trip will be. The heat doesn't bother him, but just thinking about all the arid land makes him feel parched.

"I'm not so sure, it could take us weeks to reach Tathos. If the sword has travelled via the shadowgate, Tathos could have his hands on it already. Who knows what forces will flock to him if he holds it for too long. I say we take a chance on the quicker route." 


Supperbunny  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 7:25:24 AM(UTC)
Supperbunny

[View User Details]
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/15/2011(UTC)
Posts: 17

Elviar noddd grimly in agreement with Zaruns words. "He's right. It's also far to easy to get lost in that land. I know a little about navigation myself (Knowledge Nature, right?), or at least a similar amount to most of the people here, and Im still shuddering trying to figure out a way to cross that. Besides just getting there, what would we do with the supplies? We would need mules, bags, and at least 3 weeks worth of provisions to get there and back, and that might even be pushing the limits. I would rather die face to face with some shade or monster then with a bloated belly and shriveled tounge out in that wilderness. Though... There may be another way... Perhaps we can go through the shadowgate and determine what's on the other side and return if we feel we need to? I'll chck the parchments and discover if there's a way..."
Ok, knowledge arcana, 34 to figure out if there's a way to scout through the shadow portal.
Man, I feel like fellowship of the ring choosing between carahadras and the mines of moria.
Tuomari  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 4:29:47 PM(UTC)
Tuomari

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2009(UTC)
Posts: 697
Location: Finland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

"I agree, depending on how fast one travels through there he might have had it for quite the time allready, but how does the gate work, does it require that we open it up while in the realm shadow or..?"

 If I remember correctly they thought that mines of moria was still a dwarven stronghold, thus relatively safe. We on the other hand have nearly certain death in a way or another. 


Sane when drunk, Crazy when sober.
Augrimm  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 10:43:22 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

 @Elviar:  Yes, successfully navigating across the Wastes would be Nature...

The Ritual of Opening can open the ShadowGate on both sides, both in the Material Realm and the Realm of Shadows.  A variant of the spell can allow the user to see through the other side of the Gate (only really necessary on the Material side.... In the Shadow Realm the Gates can be seen through without any magical aid, the light and life of our world shining brightly compared to the dark bleakness of the Shadows).

Casting the Ritual, Elviar can see that the Gate opens up upon a circular dais of ancient and cracked stone perhaps 30 feet in diameter.  Pathways lead in various directions from this dais, twisted and winding.  The land beyond these paths is bleak and barren, as if all the colour and life had been drained from the world, leaving it in shades of muted grey and black, the formations of ground strangely wrong as twisted to your eyes (for those who have seen "The Nightmare Before Christmas", imagining the lands surrounding Halloween Town would give you a fairly accurate impression of the area here.).  There is little light to see by, the land seemingly perpetually cloaked in the shadow of Dusk.  You see no signs of anything moving or even alive, though your vision cannot penetrate that far in the dimness.

It would be a simple matter to cast the Ritual of Opening to transport you through, but as it IS ritual magic, it takes some time (a couple of minutes) to cast and so would not be of much use if you needed to make a hasty retreat...... 


Tuomari  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 10:48:18 PM(UTC)
Tuomari

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2009(UTC)
Posts: 697
Location: Finland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

  Bugger I forgot the damn ritual... 

 

"But if the food is least of our problems should we travel through the wasteland as I can use a ritual to create food, one ritual would feed us for a day and I think I can use it more than once."


Sane when drunk, Crazy when sober.
Frandal  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:11:52 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 The paladin, his back resting in the chair he's seated listen to his comrades. He finally speaks

"I say that we should take the Shadowgate, and bring the light of Bahamut to those wasted lands that the skillfull Elviar had spoke of. The brave Zarun speaks true. We must hurry and recover the sword before it's too late. Risking to get lost in that wasteland is risking the safety of all the land. " 

 

 hey! sorry for the three weeks absence. I went to a couple of kendo seminar and the internet aviability wasn't as I expected.. 


dying_inxs  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:47:07 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

the gate it is then Rolen says let us preparE " ALE For my friends! " rolen yells at the barkeeper " we drink then we will buy are supplys " rolen smiles "enjoy it men it may be are last for a long while"

 

 

 

 

 Rolen take the trade for the sling and buys 60 normal ammo fyi 


Frandal  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:01:33 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "For the success of our quest!!" the paladin tastes the ale "may Bahamut guard our paths..." 


Augrimm  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:32:40 AM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

@ Rolen: Noted.

@ Elviar: You still need to choose an item reward.  Either post it in the Chapter 1 thread or PM me.

 Shamesh responds to Rolen's cry for with a smile and nod.  The Innkeeper and his family prepare a hearty meal of sliced meats, breads, cheeses, and fruits as well as the ale, waving away any offers of payment.  "You saved my family's lives.  A hearty meal to see you on your road is the least I can do."

The next day dawns, finding the group feeling the effects of last nights drinking to various levels, depending on their own inclinations.  They step outdoors to find a collection of the HallowGuard gathered around their dwelling, dropping off heavy packs filled with food, water, and sundry supplies. At their center, directing them stands Raiaan,  her snowy hair tied back from her face.  She wears her enchanted robes, newly mended and cleaned and holds a staff engraved with Winter symbols toped with a sapphire crystal.  As you appear she breaks off her conversation with one of the Guardsmen and steps lightly towards you, her movements showing the return of her old grace and strength, having begun her recovery from her capture and ordeal.  She embraces you each in turn, her eyes moist.  "Shamesh said you'd be leaving this morning after gathering supplies.  We figured the least we could do is to ready you for your journey.  I wish you could all stay.... but I understand why you cannot.  Go safely and may the Gods watch over you....." Her gaze focuses on Zarun as she finishes, "...and come back to me if you can."

Later......

The group gathers close around,  Elviar raises his arms and sings out a series of complex and arcane syllables, the darkness of the ShadowGate writhing as he does so.  A minute or two later, as the final note reverberates through the air the gate opens, a cloud of inky darkness spilling forth to envelope you all.  You feel as if a giant hand has reached out and yanked you half-way around the world  in an instant, your stomachs roiling with the unexpected sense of momentum.  A few moments later the darkness dissipates and you find yourselves standing in the Realm of Shadows, near the center of the cracked stone dais by the ShadowGate.  Through the Gate you can see the room you left behind, shining brightly compared to the darkness of this Plane.  Already you can feel the dark deadness of this place sapping away at your senses, dulling any feelings of sensation or happiness.  Several cracked and pitted stone paths lead away from the dais, winding out in eccentric and winding courses.  In the distance you can see other points of light, Witch Elviar knows to be other ShadowGates, allowing the light, colour, and life of our world to leak into this one.  From his research the nearest should lead to the spiraled fortress of Darkspire, though it is still quite a ways off.  The gnome spends a moment regarding the paths examining the faded runes etched into their beginnings before indicating the one that leads to their destination to the others. 

 How do you proceed?  The stone path is wide enough for 3 of you to stand abreast (aka 15 feet wide).  Do you stay tightly together? Are any of you ranging from the group or the path?  Anyone scouting ahead?  Who is at the front and who the back?

Also, if you have anything to say to Raiaan or anyone else, please feel free to include it in your post. 


Edited by user Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:45:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frandal  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:02:25 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 When Raain embraces him, the paladin seems surprised at the begining.

"It's a pleasure to see you recovered mylady, but seeing that smile in your face is worth all the pain we endured. I knew that you were too strong for them. May Bahamut's blessing be upon you always." he smiles to her and then take his supplies and thanks the people.

 

When the group enter the portal the knight draws his sword.

"What do you think my friends? A scout ahead would be wise, but I fear that in this treacherous place the scout could get lost easily and we could had a hard time looking for the others. " 

 

Whatever we decide Sir Finceleb will lead the march in the front of the party. 


thanks 1 user thanked Frandal for this useful post.
dying_inxs on 8/11/2011(UTC)
MariachiDevil  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:40:13 PM(UTC)
MariachiDevil

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/21/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,152
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

 Aye, I say we stay together, but in rough single file.

  Zarun makes sure to hold his embrace with Raiann as long as he can. As he breaks he says quietly, "I will return. I swear it."

Stepping gingerly into the portal, the young tiefling keeps a tight grip on his bow and dagger, glaring into the darkness.
"You can scout if you like, knight, but I'm staying where I can see all of you." 


Tuomari  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:31:32 AM(UTC)
Tuomari

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/19/2009(UTC)
Posts: 697
Location: Finland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

"Thank you all for the help. And thank you once again for this helmet." Bernard thanks them all.

 

"Lets stick close to each others, I don't think any one geting lost here would ever come back." Bernard says and takes place right behind to Finceleb


Sane when drunk, Crazy when sober.
dying_inxs  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:18:48 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

 Rolen grabs his supplys " i thank you " giveing a quick nod and a smile he leaves her to Zarun so they could have thier private moment

 

 

 At the gate rolen walks in he see no point as to be careful if fate want him dead he would die simple as that once inside he get nervous and is constantly looking around

"somthing about this place i cant put my finger on it " he puases " let stick together and move quickly the less wer are here the less likeliky we will be noticed "

 

 


Supperbunny  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:40:06 AM(UTC)
Supperbunny

[View User Details]
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/15/2011(UTC)
Posts: 17

Once into the shadowrealm Elviar behaved much the same as in the real world. He near-skipped, he sang lifting tunes, and essentially tried to cheer the group up. But the keen eye could see a little less spring in his step, a slightly slower song, a less broad smile. Soon enough Elviars notes were quiet and under his breath, just enough to keep his vocal cords warm.

"I for one, would rather not scout ahead. I'll be second in line so I can continue to navigate us through this wasteland. Could I suggest a faster march though? Just for a short period of time, but two hours of quick marching can remove an hour from our journey."
Augrimm  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:31:14 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,159
Location: Toronto. Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

 As the group moves through the eternal gloom of the Shadowlands, the oppressive stillness begins to eat away at their nerves.  The land is unnaturally silent and not even a hint of wind disturbs the stagnant smelling air.  The constant leeching of your senses and emotions leaves you feeling drained and listless as you march onward towards your goal, the twisting stone pathway your only guide through this desolate land.

 After you have been traveling for a while (time being difficult to judge here), dark winged shapes speed out of the gloom-filled air, passing over the group before disappearing into the dark sky once more.  As they pass they lash down upon the group with their long, bladed tails.  Finceleb's armour deflects the strike aimed at him, but both Rolen and Zarun are cut deeply by the surprise attack.  Out in the darkness you can hear the creatures emit a loud, piercing shriek as they wheel in the air for another pass.  The group also sees three figures emerge from around a rise in the barren ground about 20 feet (4 squares) ahead of Finceleb (who is at the head of the group's line).  They are small, hunched figures about the size of a goblin, their cloaked forms concealing most of their features save for their eyes, which glow with madness and malevolence.  One of the figures responds to the winged creature's shriek with one of his own and the trio draw short, stabbing swords from their waists before turning to advance upon you...... 

 Surprise Round [darned lurkers :)]

Shadow Bat 1 attacks Finceleb with Flyby Attack: 15 vs AC

Shadow Bat 2 attacks Rolen with Flyby Attack: 29 vs AC, 13 damage

Shadow Bat 3 attacks Zarun with Flyby Attack: 25 vs AC, 16 damage

 

 Monster Initiative: 12  

Initiative time everybody!  If you beat the Monsters, go ahead and post your actions.  Since I'm not entirely certain on the group's order besides Finceleb being first and Elviar 2nd.... let's say the guys on the ground are 35 feet(7 squares) away from the rest of you (splits the difference)


dying_inxs  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 1:27:34 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Rolen stumbles forward next to Finceleb he sees the bats fly away " ack"..  he hold the cut on his back " this place it dulls my senses " he see the creature in front

his sling is in his hand before he relises hes pull it out he loads two bullets and aims at the lead goblin thing in front

 

 

 

 

 Initiative: 21

sorry about the loading of two bullet i dk how to explain the extra dmg lol

 

 Ranged Basic Attack | 20 vs AC | 7 damage + 8 stone furry of blows dmg & ki sling
 
Stone Fist Flurry of Blows

You lash out at another enemy after your first attack, a casual reminder of your great strength.

At-Will Psionic
Free Action Melee 1

Trigger: You hit with an attack during your turn

Target: One creature
Level 11: One or two creatures
Level 21: Each enemy adjacent to you

Effect: The target takes damage equal to 3 + your Strength modifier. If the target wasn’t targeted by the triggering attack, the damage increases by 2 (4 at 11th level and 6 at 21st level).

Special: You can use this power only once per round.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Users browsing this topic
Guest (Hidden)
24 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.723 seconds.