logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Augrimm  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:18:20 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Several days have passed since our heroes triumphant return from Darkspire, a time spent recovering from wounds and from the life draining effects of two trips through the ShadowGate. This morning finds you all in the Town Hall, looking down at the maps you recovered from the Scourged fortress, your attention focused upon the map of DarkHallow and it's single black pin as well as a black queen chess piece which rests upon the small mining town of Krylorn.

A few changes have occurred in the group.  Elviar has decided that he would rather write epic songs and poems than star in them himself.  The trials of Darkspire and the Fallen's Tomb weigh heavily upon the normally jovial gnome and he has decided to retire from the adventuring life ,for a while at least.  Before he left he promised to spread the word of the Scourged and your heroic deeds and to go to warn the settlements to the west of the large raiding force that you suspect is gathering in the Wastelands near them.

Zarun has decided to stay behind in DarkHallow.  He says that it's so he can help strengthen the town's defences against another covert raid such as the last one, but whenever you see him together with Raiaan (which is often), the real reason becomes clear enough.....

Fortunately the group has managed to recruit a new member, a scout and sharp-shooter by the name of Ryltar.  Though his dark elven heritage earns him a few sideways glances  the townsfolk try not to judge him by the colour of his skin.  After all, if a tiefling and half-orc can be the saviors and heroes of their town, why not a drow?

It has been generally agreed upon that the mines of Krylorn should be the group's next destination.  The helpful townsfolk are already busy preparing the supplies the group will need for the estimated four day hike required to get there.  This meeting is simply to finalise plans and to bring Ryltar up to date on the happens thus far.

You all find yourselves eager to be on your way.  The attitudes of the townsfolk have become almost worshipful, especially towards Finceleb.  Everywhere you go you are followed by small groups of children begging you for tales of your exploits once more.  Conversations stop when you enter a room, leaving you in awed silence only to have new, excited conversations erupt as you leave.  Finceleb's white hair and sapphire eyes draw gazes wherever he goes.  All-in-all, it's beginning to make most of you a little uncomfortable.... 

Welcome Everyone to Chapter 3 of Rise of the Scourged: The Mines of Madness.  Hope you all have fun. :)

dying_inxs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:44:36 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Rolen has changed he has used the spear he gained in the sphire as a fouse he has changed his body to reflect living stone while the others planed rolen jumped from roof to roof to trees he made the spear become part of his body a thrid arm if you will when he join back witht the other once he refoucsed  himself the hardly recongised him his muscles were even larger he move with grace of a panther you knew at a momenuts notice he could jump and attack any in his wake the othere were revered in the heroics . Rolen was kept at a distance always training alway rdy always keeping an eye on the town while the others were busy planinng .....

Rolen " how fair it have we deiceded on a course of action?

rolen chr update plese look it over augrimm  

way2tall  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 3:35:37 AM(UTC)
way2tall

[View User Details]

Well...  looks like we're off to the mines.

I'll take what time I can to finish training with the local militia...  Darkhallow may be overlooked in the coming skirmishes, but I'd rather not have that left to chance.  Best I sweat them now before the blades are swung in earnest.

This goes double for Vengeance and Finceleb, of course.  :)

On a related note, I've retrained from at-will Risky Shot into Direct the Strike (the 'hit him again!' attack) to facilitate this (and per Vengeance's last post, I think I can say I've been using it to good effect ;)

I'll note that we could probably use some extra sunrods, and I'd like to know if I can pick up a couple +1 surprise arrows to replace those I, uh, flung in Tathos' general direction...

Other than that, I'll top up my arrows and get ready to march.

Augrimm  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 10:27:19 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

@Rolen: Made a couple of small adjustments, nothing to write home about (your basic attacks were a bit off).  You seem to be short 1 trained skill...... and I assume the misc +1 to arcana and nature are background?

@ Jett: Yes, the town Mage-Smith (who coincidentally enough is Raiaan's father) can resupply you with some surprise arrows.  He is capable of crafting items up to lv 6 

Ravencrow  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:45:38 AM(UTC)
Ravencrow

[View User Details]

Well, I obviously don't need a sunrod, but rope and grappel sound like a good idea. 

Tempt not the wrath of Dragons, as you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Rahvin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:42:30 AM(UTC)
Rahvin

[View User Details]

Ryltar looks over the map spread over the table, making note of some of the key landmarks around Krylorn. After several moments of study, he turns to the rest of the group.

"I understand that our target is the mines, so that we can deprive our enemy of access to the resources. Do we have any intelligence on what forces are arrayed near the town? Or what the black queen represents?"

way2tall  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:22:14 PM(UTC)
way2tall

[View User Details]

We've no clear idea what the chess piece represents.  A knight token was used to represent our last foe, who was a warrior-type.  I'd guess that the bishop token at Crimson Keep represents a caster of some sort, and the queen at the mines possibly a leader.  Then again, the pieces may represent the ranks of those leading the force, making the queen token a high-ranking member of whatever organization is supporting these attacks.  Or it could simply represent a female leader.  There were no documents found to support anything more than theories, I'm afraid.

As to forces, there was one pin in the map at that location, a black one.  With any luck, one pin may mean there's only a relatively small defensive force to contend with.  Given that the disappearances there suggest underground operations, the black pin may represent drow allies (an excellent choice for lightless tunnels). 

In the event, Ryltar, we'll be relying heavily on you for reconnaissance once we get to the mines.  Hope you're packed.  :)

Augrimm  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:45:58 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

Just a clarification, the black pin is marked on DarkHallow, not on Krylorn.  The only thing on Krylorn was the Black Queen piece.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled roleplaying..... :) 

Augrimm  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:42:40 AM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

So..... Everyone's ready to leave town for the mines then? 

Rahvin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:11:35 PM(UTC)
Rahvin

[View User Details]

"I hope your right, Jett. But I'm sure we'll be able to find out what forces are arrayed against us, before we get too close."

I'm ready to leave.

Augrimm  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:16:05 AM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

As our heroes prepare to leave DarkHallow a small gathering forms to see them off.  Bernard limps forward  supported by Shamesh, the massive innkeeper looking at the priest in gentle concern.  Although the insidious infection wrought by the Shadow Warrior's cursed blade has been contained and even begun to recede somewhat, Bernard is still weak and Shamesh is obviously of the opinion what the cleric should still be in bed.

Bernard clasps arms with both Finceleb and Rolen, his eyes bright despite the dark circles lingering under them.  "I wish I could be going with you." he says.  "We started out together, it would have been nice to finish things together...." He pauses and looks down at his weak and sunken frame.  "After I am well again, if ever you should have need of my mace you have but to call and it, and I, are yours."

The Frostfang family, Zarun amongst them step forwards next.  Raiann gives a fond embrace to both Rolen and Finceleb.  "You saved my life and perhaps my soul....... I shall be forever in your debt.  Return to us after your adventures are done, for surely there is a home for you all here in DarkHallow."

Zarun stands behind the sorceress with an easy smile on his face and his friends cannot remember a time where he has looks more happy and at peace.  He nods to you all and says with a grin,  "I'm counting on the rest of you to keep Rolen out of trouble.  Who knows what messes his hot head will get him into without me to look after him.  Take care for yourselves as well.  I'll be doing what I can to tighten up security here, so another raid like the last won't catch us off guard.  My people can be full of many dark tricks, so stay on your guard."

As his daughter and Zarun speak to the others Jerrik steps up to Jett, the gears and pulleys in his metallic leg armour whirring and clanking with each step and hands him a bundle.  "Zarun tells me you are running short on your special arrows.  Take these and use them well."  Unwrapping the bundle, Jett finds six gleaming silver arrows, each similar to the ones he already carried. 

Several other townsfolk have gathered behind the notables, but they keep a respectful distance back, waving and shouting well-wishings and encouragements.  With a final hug from Raiaan and nods from the others, our heroes set of towards the mines of Krylorn......

....... After about a half hour upon the road, the refreshing feeling of the wind in their faces and a new adventure before them, Rolen and Ryltar spot a small group of HallowGuard, in the distinctive black and orange armour of DarkHallow, ahead of them.  Amongst them is one of the junior priests from the Shrine of All Gods, whom Rolen recognises from his time spent there though he can't bring the man's name to mind.   

Jett gains 6 +1 surprise arrows.

I'm going to probably be incommunicado until after the 27th, so probably no major updates until after then.  Though who knows, I may find some free time and a free computer somewhere while I'm at the sister in-laws over Christmas.

Happy Holidays everyone! 

Edited by user Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:08:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ravencrow  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:24:10 AM(UTC)
Ravencrow

[View User Details]

Made some minor purchases, rope and climbing kit, and used my 300 gold for it.  Made a couple minor stat changes.  All that training with Finceleb added a little bulk to our avenger.

Tempt not the wrath of Dragons, as you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
dying_inxs  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:49:19 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

ill try my best to post after xmas but no guarantees !! lol i diffently by back full blast after new years :D

Frandal  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:31:27 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

First of all sorry for the long waiting here. Had a flu that got me in bed the whole week.

Happy Holyday!!  

Finceleb seemed trobuled the past days, but once they decided their destination and starting preparing their departure, he finally seems at rest. He looks eager to continue the fight agaisnt the Shadow.

After the well wishes and the goodbyes he led the march to the north.  

Can we buy some horses? If there are some avaible I suggest we get them. 

Augrimm  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:45:40 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

@ Finceleb: The only animals available are pack and work horses, fit for pulling wagons and carrying supplies, but not really trained to handle a rider. (basically I'm avoiding the complications of 4e mounted combat here....)

@ Everyone:  Are you approaching the HallowGuard on the road ahead? 

way2tall  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:16:21 PM(UTC)
way2tall

[View User Details]

Sure.  They're the local law enforcement, I'd guess.  Might as well check in.

(Just as an aside, you pointed out that one black pin was in DarkHallow...  could be a suborned or fake guard unit...  just sayin'...)

dying_inxs  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 7:41:43 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

Rolen fades intot he brush

Stealth 19 

Frandal  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:58:35 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The paladin leads the march in the road but he stops when the city is in view.

"My friends do you think is wise to announce our presence? We don't know if the whole city is under their control. For as eager as I could be to end this threat not even us are capable of defeating a whole garrison. Perharps a little bit of cunning and a reconnaisance is in order before enter the city."

Ok no horses I thought only for traveling but you're right sooner or later we would like to charge  ;)  

way2tall  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:42:46 PM(UTC)
way2tall

[View User Details]

Just asking for some clarification here...

I think the earlier part of the campaign was based from DarkHallow.  We're just leaving DarkHallow, and are about 1/2 hour outside of town.  We've run into a group of HallowGuard, who sound like they'd be some sort of local militia or civil guard.  They should be friendlies, and we're not anywhere near enemy territory yet.

Augrimm, am I basically correct?

Augrimm  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:58:09 PM(UTC)
Augrimm

[View User Details]

Yep.  Jett has it right.  You are about 1/2 hour of DarkHallow and the HallowGuard ahead are a combination of military and police force (think heavily armed town watch).  They are charged with keeping order within the town as well as protecting it from threats from without (and they've been mentioned in every chapter.....) 

Edited by user Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:38:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified