logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ArtMonkey  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 6:27:48 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 You've been hired on as security and support staff for a novium transport headed for Brightside station in the Hard Light system.  Hard Light's huge, blinding star throws intense, destructive radiation outward through the entire system.  Even shields won't hold up to it for long, and the ship has to move quickly to its destination, the egg-shaped space station "Brightside" that hides behind a small planet for safety.

Unfortunately, upon arrival, you hear that there was a recent mining accident, and it is necessary to transport a dozen injured people out of the system for medical aid.  The captain asks that you stay behind to make room for the injured miners, promising to pick you up on his next trip to the station.

Your room and board will be covered during your stay, and you are given an information packet describing the Hard Light system (below).

Welcome to Brightside station.  What do you do? 

System Registry

Hard Light
Primary Star Perdurabo, aka “The Beast”
Major Worlds None
Main Starport Brightside Station
Government None

System Overview

Hard Light is dominated by its primary, a late-stage red giant known locally as “The Beast”. Most of the system interior has already been consumed by the star’s expansion, leaving it with a thick penumbra of rocky debris. There are no habitable worlds in the system. The only registered settlement is the Brightside mining station, with approximately one hundred inhabitants and basic facilities for ship refueling and repair.

Points of Interest

Brightside Station is the only registered settlement within Hard Light. The station is built along the familiar Bannerjee Twelve structural lines and is located in a stable orbital position on the dark side of the planetoid Aegis. Facilities are provided for refueling and minor repairs. Pressure bay capacity is available for most frigate-class ships or smaller, while larger ships can be served through a cargo umbilical. Brightside welcomes all traders, but recommends early notification of arrival by comm laser. The station is heavily armed and prepared to repel pirates and boarders.

Brightside Station’s major industry is the export of novium, a rare particle emitted by late-stage red giants that has numerous uses in the maintenance of pretech manufactory equipment. The novium production is currently under long-term contract, but traders are welcome to make port for refueling, resupply, and relaxation. Work at good pay is available for experienced spacers and technicians.

Visitors may also be interested in exploring the recently-discovered “sky tombs” embedded in several large asteroids along the outer rim of the system. These alien excavations appear to have served as burial sites for important members of their species, and some contain valuable works of art or ancient xenotech. Buyers are present aboard the Brightside for quick and profitable disposal of interesting artifacts.


Local Laws

No formal law enforcement exists outside of Brightside Station. Traders should look to their own security.

The wearing of armor or weaponry is forbidden aboard Brightside Station. Station rules are enforced by uniformed security personnel. Visitors are advised to obey their instructions and all posted regulations. We welcome traders in need of a good time and relaxation, but we expect you to behave while you are here. Troublemakers will be ejected from the station. Very bad troublemakers will be ejected from the airlock.

Director Yash Dutta is chief of Brightside Station. Visitors interested in finding work are advised to apply to him at the station offices on middeck.

Travel Warnings!

Radio communication in the system is severely degraded by stellar emissions and is infeasible at ranges of more than twelve meters. Comm lasers or spooled comm hardline are recommended for communication.

Standard ship radiation shielding systems degrade rapidly in Hard Light. Seventy-two hours is the maximum recommended exposure period, after which most crews will begin to experience significant radiation poisoning. Full crew mortality can be anticipated within 24 hours. Sheltering aboard Brightside Station or in the shadow of a major asteroid is recommended to allow the shielding buffer time to regenerate.

Crew are strongly advised not to perform extra-vehicular activities in open space. Without the shielding provided by a major asteroid, significant radiation poisoning requires only sixty seconds for onset, with death following within twenty minutes. In emergency situations, use of engine room-rated exosuits can delay significant damage for several hours.

Visitors are advised to avoid exploration of the asteroid fields in unarmed starships. Some of the sky tombs have been repurposed as hermit settlements and pirate dens. Enlist a local guide to learn the locations of sky tombs known to be secure for exploration. 


Edited by user Monday, December 12, 2011 9:02:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
dying_inxs  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 5:12:27 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

"well ani't this the greatest thing ever "  i wonder if the captain will even think about coming back i mean why would he hes gonna get paid any way " Julies sighs " i really needed this pay too"


Frandal  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:26:45 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 " I still think that it had been much better if I'd stayed at the ship. Those men were severy injuried and they needed a doctor. Don't misunderstand me " the little men adds "I think that miss Harper is an excellent attendant, one of the best I've met, but she lacks the knowledge, or the ability, to tend that kind of tissue degradation due to gamma radation. The lastest researches of Dr. Obludai in the matter states that..  Ey! where are you going? Wait for me!"  


dying_inxs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:36:21 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

stop following me just cuase we were shipmate on that rige doesnt mean were bossum buddys " Jules sighs " fine come along then lets see if we can find a job while we wait for that ship to come back in case we need to pay to find a way off this radiation death trap


Rahvin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:54:11 AM(UTC)
Rahvin

[View User Details]
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/3/2011(UTC)
Posts: 5

 

"I've heard a thing or two about this system, and might be able to help all of us find some work around here. Maybe we could even find somebody will to hire us to go explore some of the ancient ruins they discovered?"

Olin tries to remember some of the most likely potential employers, based on what he's picked up through his travels.

"I'm sure I was told the best place to enquire was this way." he says, as he attempts to guide the group along.

Culture/Traveler: 6 plus intelligence (+1)?

I think I got that right

 


Frandal  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:06:50 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "Wait wait wait. Isn't that I don't feel the excitement of looking at this ancient sites, their antropological and archeological value is, no doubt, very high,I went to a couple of excavations in Regulox V between terms back at the university, but that's not the point, the point is that going out there to explore is very risky! Without the proper protection the damage on the tissues will be irreparable in less than 60 seconds. We don't have the proper equipment or the preparation to do this properly and... would you two wait for me?" 


ArtMonkey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:36:57 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 A pair of armed guards stop you at the main doors out of the pressure-dock and check you for weapons and armor.

"You can keep your armor, but you can't wear it on the station.  You can keep your weapons, too, but if we see them unpacked the punishment is severe.  You've been warned."

The guards direct you to the director's office on middeck.  After heading downstairs and navigating the bulky, narrow passageways that hum with the sound of machinery and life-support, you come toe the director's office.  The nameplate on the door is engraved "Yash Dutta".  When you knock, the door is answered by a tall, dark, flinty-eyed man with close-cropped hair and an unblinking gaze.  He must be at least 70, but he moves with vigor.

"Ah, you must be our visitors", he says as he returns to his desk and takes a seat.  "You should have your room numbers already.  They're on highdeck with the chapel and the park.  Entertainment's on middeck.  Or are you here looking for work?  It's hard, but the pay's decent."  He seems like a busy man.  The desk behind him is full of datapads and sheafs of thin, plastic datasheets. 

What do you do?


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Rahvin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:43:10 AM(UTC)
Rahvin

[View User Details]
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/3/2011(UTC)
Posts: 5

I'm not sure about my comrades here, but I may be looking to earn a little extra while I'm here. What sort of jobs are we talking about?


ArtMonkey  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:19:34 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "Well, you lot don't seem like the type for the more technical work", Dutta says sternly, "but if you don't mind the occassional radiation spill I can get you a place in the refinery for 12 credits a day.  Of course, if you're in a hurry, we've got a little problem that needs fixing.  Brightside's running low on reaction mass.  We need more water.  We've got some coordinates for an ice asteroid, but we need it surveyed first, and after that 'accident' yesterday, I'm shorthanded."

You can tell by the way he said it that he doesn't think it was really an accident.

"Shouldn't be too hard.  Just do some scans, place some markers.  We need that asteroid mined for water within three weeks or our hydroponics bay will dry up.  Now, there's some danger involved.  There always is in this system.  But if you can stay out of the rays of the Beast, you'll probably be ok.  If you three are interested, I can get you 500 credits each when you return with the readings." 

What do you do?


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Rahvin  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 3:48:43 AM(UTC)
Rahvin

[View User Details]
Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/3/2011(UTC)
Posts: 5

"I don't think working in the refinery would be something any of else are up for, but getting some scans of the ice asteriod sounds like something a bit more feasible. Of course, as you are aware that we don't have access to a ship at the moment, we would need some help in that regard." Olin turns to his companions, "Are either of you capable of piloting a ship?"

 


ArtMonkey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:21:12 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "Don't worry about that" Dutta interrupts.  "The Leadbelly's got its own pilot.  He'll fly out you there.  Also, I can lend you some vacc suits and survey scanners and some spare A-cells and oxygen tanks.  That ought to take care of you.  Try to protect those suits, though."

Dutta shuffles some papers.

"Whenever you're ready, let me know, but don't take too long.  I've got plenty to handle as it is." 

What now?


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
ArtMonkey  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:29:18 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Dutta stares at you impatiently. 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
dying_inxs  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:52:06 AM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2008(UTC)
Posts: 612

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Julius stares back " half upfront "

 

 

 ill try my best to post after xmas but no guarantees !! lol i diffently by back full blast after new years :D 


ArtMonkey  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:57:53 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Dutta's eyes narrow.

"I don't like you.  You come here, strangers to MY station, and then all but accuse me of trying to swindle you?  But you know what?  Fine.  It's not like you're going to be able to run off with it. Go next door and I'll have the finance department set you up with an account."

 And unless somebody has something specific in mind, we'll assume that you get accounts set up with 250 credits them.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

What next? 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Frandal  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:34:59 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 First of all sorry for the long waiting here. Had a flu that got me in bed the whole week.

Happy Holydays!! 

 

 "Well I.. I suppouse that I could go. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the scanning equipment and I could get an eye on that radiation markers and administrate a faster antiradiation first aid in case of need..."  


ArtMonkey  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 3:55:34 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 The woman behind the counter sets each of you up with an account and 250 credits.  She also informs you that the "Leadbelly", piloted by Ranse Hardlee, will be at the dock, ready to take you to the ice-asteroid, in about two hours.  Is there anything you need or want to do in that time? 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Frandal  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 5:21:36 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Kul will try to be in an hour at the dock and will check the suits before they go if possible. If not, he'll remain near the dock, reading the anti-radiation procedure from his datapad. ( I assume he has some kind of portable computer to storage books and notes since his Academy days, if not he'll try to buy one and then fill it with the info he needs )


ArtMonkey  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 10:20:12 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Ok.

I don't know what happened to your old dataslab, but you don't have one now.  They're 300 credits, though. so you'll want to save up.

Kul, you see a large, brick-like ship in the dock, and a grizzled old man with rough patches on his face.  They look like melanoma to you.  The old man, Ranse Hardlee, greets you with a smile and a handshake and shows you the ship's hold where you'll be riding.  He also lets you go over the vacc suits.  There are three of them, and six oxygen tanks.  There's also a box of nine, Type-A power cells and two survey scanners.

Are you bringing anything with you? 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Frandal  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:28:27 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]
Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 344
Location: Madrid, Spain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 Kul shakes the hand of Captain Hardlee and let him show the ship. When he shows him thier places he left his bag, with all the things he could get in that shor time from the ship, in one of the beds. 

Before he starts to check the vacc suits and the oxygen tanks he ask the Captain.

"Excuse me Captain. Have you visited the medical bay of the Station recently?" 


ArtMonkey  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:09:49 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]
Rank: Administration

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered
Joined: 3/27/2004(UTC)
Posts: 6,299

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

 "Thankfully, no, knock on wood", the old man replies, rapping on the side of his head with one hand.  "I've managed to do a fair job of keeping body and soul firmly together.  Why?  What ails you, son?" 


Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
Users browsing this topic
Guest (Hidden)
9 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.889 seconds.