logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ArtMonkey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:08:35 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

Medals: PBP DM: This user has run a PBP game!

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Here's a snippet from Mike Mearls:

"We want to create a shared foundation that people can build upon, so it’s really about creating a slim, easy to use set of rules. From there, there are two basic paths.

Players can pick their own style and complexity within a class. Think of it kind of like having a $10 budget to spend on lunch. Some people will go to a restaurant and buy a $10 lunch special. Someone else might spend that $10 by ordering a few different things off the menu, rather than a special. Someone else might take that $10 and go to the grocery store to buy all the ingredients for a recipe they like. The idea is to put everyone on the same scale, but then allow people to burrow into the level of detail they want.

DMs have a similar process they can go through, adding optional rules to flesh out their campaigns. Those options can range from creating a unique list of races or classes for a setting, to adding in special rules for things like managing a kingdom or waging a war." 

And this:

"If you removed those elements, it’s not D&D. Our list includes the six abilities, classes, levels, hit points, Armor Class, and a few other things." 

From GameInformer

Red Tide Campaign Log
Red Tide PCs: Walderson, San Chal, Shi Go
Torchbearer PCs: Ulrik, Gerald
Scarlet Heroes PCs: Cor Shi Go
dying_inxs  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:47:52 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

this outta be intresting :) i always look forward to new things but the main thing i love about 4e was the chr creator  as long as the add that m good with any changes :)

Frandal  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:40:20 PM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]

Don't ask me why, but I got a bad feeling about this.

For me, since the release of the 4th ed and its endless set of adds and modules, it was more and more clear that they were trying to emulate the World of Warcraft system.

Now with this "budget" idea, it reminds me of the election to be "healer" or "tank" that you make on your character in WOW or other MMORPG, while leveling and putting skill points into a specific set of trees.

I thought that the idea was to make the MMO more like the original tabletop RPG, and not the opposite, like the people at Wizards, and therefore Hasbro, seems to be doing.

I'm one of the old school, who thinks that the system doesn't really matters as long as it's balanced and the history and all the players involved have fun and create a good history, but since three years I've reading a lot the word "simple" and the sentence "easy to use" refering to the rules of the rpgs, specially the D&D. I admit that following all the pre-requisites that the prestige classes had in the 3.5 was a little painful, but I never found the game mechanics fo the D&D difficult or hard. It seems to me that they try to change the RPG-style in more than a Heroquest-style of game. I don't like this too much.

Still, this are just my fears, better to wait and see what they finally do...

ArtMonkey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:09:08 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

Brick wall

4e is nothing like World of Warcraft.  All of the things that people say are stolen from WoW have always been in D&D.  Heck, everybody said that 3.0 was a rip-off of the Diablo computer game.

The "budget" thing isn't a rule.  It's just an analogy.  What they're saying is that you'll be able to make a character as simple or as complex and personalized as you like, and it will still be balanced and playable with other players who might have chosen a different option.  So my "fighter" with no skills and no feats and no powers will be just as playable and fun as your fighter with proficiency slots and combat tactics and both with be playable and fun alongside somebody else's fighter with skills and feats and powers.

That said, I have no idea how they're going to do that, but I wish them luck.

Red Tide Campaign Log
Frandal  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 2:36:24 AM(UTC)
Frandal

[View User Details]

Lol me too.

I remember the 2d edition with the player options. It sounds like that. You could have your "standard" elf wizard or you can customize it, giving she better skill and bonuses to magic instead of having a +1 with swords...

ArtMonkey  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 4:10:46 AM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

Yeah, that's kind of what I think of as well.

Red Tide Campaign Log
ArtMonkey  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:32:17 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

From EN World:

Monsters & Advancement:

• "Instead of the fighter getting a better and better attack bonus, he instead gets more options to do stuff as he goes up in level, and his attack bonus goes up at a very modest rate. I think it offers a better play experience that the orc/ogre can remain in the campaign, and people can know how the monster would work from a previous experience, but they remain a challenge for longer." - Monte Cook
  • "The Monsters are in the design teams hands now and we'll be moving to development in the next few weeks. What I can say about this goal that Monte is talking about is that we're working to provide the DM with really good world building tools. And it's important to provide information about the orcs place in D&D while making sure that a Monster remains relevant as the characters level up. They're might be an orc shaman, an orc champion or whatever for higher levels, but we also want the basic orc to be relevant at higher levels. We want it to be really easy for the DM to open the Monster Manual and drop an orc or iconic monsters into the game." - Jeremy Crawford
  • For example, the basic game fighter might have specific level-bases abilities. Things that every fighter has. If you decide to get more customized, you can swap standard abilities for more complex, optional abilities. These are the kinds of things that feats do now. But the complex stuff is balanced with what's in the core. One character is more complex, but not necessarily more powerful. - Monte Cook

So, more options, but less power creep?

Edited by user Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:36:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Red Tide Campaign Log
dying_inxs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:22:32 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

here is a 5e tracker it is keep track of all the rumored and confirmed changes

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=dnd5e

everything looks cool sept the card tie in the cards are gonna have rare's uncommon and what not which i dont understand will hurt or help a game ... i have to read more on the subject

ArtMonkey  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:42:31 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

In the interest of sanity, I should point out that there is no indication of D&DNext using collectible cards.  A search of the ENWorld page linked above does not have a single instance of the word "card" or "collect", for example

Red Tide Campaign Log
dying_inxs  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:33:15 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

sorry that was in the email i got from them

heres a paste

So the joke about future D&D editions having collectible randomized rules modules has been around for a few years. But there's always been a germ of truth to it: we knew it was coming in some way, just not exactly how.

Now we do. And no, don't worry - it's not that silly old canard of "Aha! I just got the rare grappling rules!"; that would be silly. No game could work like that.

No, it seems that a more pragmatic approach is being taken. Instead of randomized rules modules, 5E will have a new, proprietary randomized statistics system.

What this means is that - as expected, you have a deck of cards rather than an actual character sheet. Your ability scores are represented by a card - so you might have the "Constitution" card and the "Wisdom" card, while another player may have "Intelligence" and maybe one of the rare ability scores. Accomplishing a task is a very quick and simple card game - it only takes 15 minutes or so.

Your DM, on the other hand, will be collecting dungeon furnishings such as "Wooden Door", "Pit Trap", "T-Junction", "Stairs", and so on. In essence you play your hand of ability acores against the furnishings in the DM's hand. So you may play Strength against a door, or Charisma against the Relectant Guard card.

So where do dice come in? Well, that's easy! That's how you determine the size of your hand. And when you take damage, you lose cards randomly chosen by your opponent. This has the beauty of tying in the conditions system - rather than a positive condition, a condition is now defined by the lack of a card; if you have no Dexterity card, you are slowed, for example. No Strength card means that you're paralyzed.

It's not clear yet how the cards will be sold. The starter box will obviously contain a wide variety of randomized cards, and it's expected that additional cards will come in randomized sets of six or so.

The designers have been careful to describe how this new system will "keep the essence of D&D", and I feel that they have succeeded. I mean, D&D has always been random - dice, wandering monster tables, rolling for ability scores. It's clear that the "essence of D&D" is, in fact, randomness.

The spell cards are a thing of beauty. I know, you're expecting each spell to be a randomized card; but no - that would be silly. No, what we have is a much more elegant system. Each spell attribute is a randomized card - duration, range, area of effect, targets, and so on. You also get elemental cards to represent the damage type (or protection - that's random, too), and a card for each school of magic. There's only one card per school, though, so if you have more than one spellcaster you'll be "sharing" the magic. It can be quite tricky when you turn over a high damage fireball, and then your next card defines the target as "yourself", but that's just part of the risk of being a spellcaster. You get to describe the spell yourself, making it very freeform and flexible. For example, you might get the cards "ice", "30' radius", "9d6 damage", "illusion", "all allies", and from that you have the complete freedom to describe an awesome icy-burst damaging illusion spell which hits your allies.

One disadvantage of the system is that I discovered that "Initiative" is a rare card. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out in play.

More news as we get it!

Edited by moderator Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:41:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ArtMonkey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:39:58 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

Ha!  You have been successfully trolled.  You didn't happen to get that email on April 1st, did you? :)

"Accomplishing a task is a very quick and simple card game - it only takes 15 minutes or so."

Contradictory and silly, and obviously a joke.  So you don't have to worry.

Red Tide Campaign Log
dying_inxs  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:05:11 PM(UTC)
dying_inxs

[View User Details]

rofl haha damn that was cold

That Other Guy  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 12:59:12 AM(UTC)
That Other Guy

[View User Details]

Oy vey, I never even switched to 4e, and now they're working on another one? I have fallen behind.

In other news, it's nice to post on this forum for the first time in about five years, though I had to make a new account for this.
ArtMonkey  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 5:56:19 PM(UTC)
ArtMonkey

[View User Details]

Has it been five years?  Crazy!

In other news, 5e looks like it will have you choose Race, Class, Background (skill package) and Theme (feat package) for quick and colorful character creation (though you can "roll your own" if you like, creating your own custom themes and backgrounds).

Red Tide Campaign Log